Formula for SUM by the category

Options
Y. Czerski
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Unfortunately couldn't find the solution here. 

I'm just looking for a formula that will allow me to count total sum by the category of a product. 

Basically, I have two columns: first is the Dropdown list with the category of a product, and second one is the Text/number column with the bid amount. What I need is a total sum based on each category. Is there a formula or some other way to solve this problem? I really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance! 

Comments

• PGreene
    PGreene
    edited 01/22/18
    Options

Have you tried the sumifs function? you would need 1 for each category. 

• Steve DeAses
    Options

I also used the SUMIF or SUMIFS function for this issue. Be aware that the syntax for these two formulas are different.

• Y. Czerski
    Options

I apologize in advance if I miss some obvious things, I'm very new to smartsheet. It just that I logically can't really understand how I build the formula when I have a product name in one column and bid in another column, taking into account that bid number is always different. Using SUMIF I see how I can do it for each product separately if it always would have the same bid amount. I'm probably just missing something. I really appreciate your help and patience!   

• Y. Czerski
    Options

Hi! Thanks for the hint, I'm not sure how can I properly built such formula in my case, I gave more details in my reply to the first comment. Thanks a lot for your help! 

• PGreene
    Options

How about something along these lines: 

=SUMIFS([Bid Number]$1:[Bid Number]$10, [Product Name]$1:[Product Name]$10, [Product Name]13)

Sumifs demo1.JPG

Sumifs demo2.JPG

• Y. Czerski
    Options

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Can't express how thankful I am. You are the best, thank you one more time. 

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!