Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Send update requests to assigned user?

Options
Scott Gibson
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is it possible to send an update request to the user assigned to the row?

For example, I have five tasks listed on my sheet, each assigned to a different user.  I would like to select all five rows and hit 'Send Update Request' and use the 'Assigned to' column to determine who it should go to.  

Having to re-type the assignee's name/email seems to defeat the purpose of the contact list column type's functionality.

Any ideas or planned feature updates? :)

Cheers!

Scott

Comments

• Geoff Kennedy
    Options

This feature would be almost at the top of my wishlist

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Good question, Scott! Smartsheet does not have the functionality to send update requests to users assigned to a task - at this time you will need to type in the contact information of who you are sending the request to. 

I will submit your suggestion and add votes for you and Geoff for this functionality. 

• Kit Unger
    Kit Unger Employee
    Options

We do have the ability to send reminders to users assigned to a row in the Alerts panel. In addition to Update Requests, what other areas would this functionality be helpful? Thanks!

• Rob van Dijk
    edited 09/30/15
    Options

this would also be very helpful in the Alert/Notification section. Not only to the Shared Users, but to other columns of type=Contact List. Including the trigger on FieldValue(s) instead of 'any change'.. :)

We like to use SM for IT tickets or change requests. When ticket has a certain status, send a Notification to Requestor.

Status=Created:             send Notification (conf. with ticket#)

Status=Solved:               send Notification with solution

Status=Wait for update: send Update request 

• Alina Anderson
    Options

Yes, this feature would be fantastic! 

• Patrick Lawler
    Options

Scott and group, 

I have great news. This exact scenario can be solved using Azuqua, an integration partner of Smartsheet. I work for Azuqua and the ability to send update requests to an assigned user of a particular row is one of many scenarios that we enable inside of Smartsheet. 

Using Azuqua you can have a column where the values in the column are checkboxes. Then we set up a monitor to look for boxes that are checked and when that trigger happens we send an update request to the assigned user in that particular row. 

If you want to learn more please visit our app listing at Smartsheet here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/azuqua

Please feel free to follow up with any questions.

-Patrick

• Allan Poulton
    Allan Poulton ✭✭✭
    edited 11/09/15
    Options

I'll add my name to this request.  

Being able to select a set of rows, and then send an update request based on the email saved in that row, would be very useful.

thks

Allan

• Jérémie Bourdon
    Options

I vote for it too ! This has to be a basic collaboration feature.

Thanks

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Thanks everyone! I have recorded your votes Smile

• Emily Dolson
    edited 02/18/16
    Options

This has my vote, too!  Would save so much time. :)

• Scott Gibson
    Options

Unfortunately, we've had to move on to more capable project management software.  This missing feature completely negates the benefit of most workflows in Smartsheet, so the software doesn't add much value.

Sorry guys, but you're just too slow.

Scott

• Tassa Tenhouse
    Options

Chiming in on the request for alerts/update requests that are dynamic based on the current value in the contact list column - I would like to set it up so that the person assigned to a task will get a monthly update request.

• Wim VdW
    Wim VdW
    edited 09/20/16
    Options

I second this motion Smile

Any news on the status of this request?

• LeanneScheepers
    edited 03/20/17
    Options

I second this as well! Any news on the progress?

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello All—

As you know, we currently don't have this functionality but I've added your votes for this to our enhancement request list for further consideration.

We don't have a timeframe for when this feature would be released in the application.

This discussion has been closed.