Can you run an Automated Workflow on a Dropdown List?

Options

I have a dropdown list and I want to run a workflow off of it so when one option is selected it notifies a user. When I select that column in the Automated workflow, I don't see the dropdown options. Can someone help point me in the right direction? I have used Automated Workflows for years and seems like this should be pretty straightforward?

Answers

• Brent Wilson
    Brent Wilson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I used something similar for purchase approval. I created a separate sheet that contained all the information. To keep it simple it was like Facility, Title, and Name.

The person creating the request then went and picked the facility and the Title then I looked up the name via a look-up formula.

Then my workflow looked at the name column to figure out who to workflow the requisition to.

Mine was a bit more complicated as it had several signing levels that had to occur in series but it can be done.

But if it is very simple on your graphic there is the ability to Add a condition. in here you could say If "Web Status" is Canceled then notify Bill, etc..

It will start designing a logic tree for you

Brent C. Wilson, P.Eng, PMP, Prince2

Facilityy Professional Services Inc.

http://www.facilityy.com

• Lauryn Vogt
    Lauryn Vogt ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I did that as well and it still doesn't seem to work. It would be set up like this.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lauryn Vogt

Which column's dropdown choices aren't appearing, and in which block of the automation are they not appearing?

Is the column single select or multi-select? Is it a dropdown or a contact list column?

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!