Workflow to copy Attachments and Conversations from 1 sheet to another?

MCorbin
MCorbin Overachievers Alumni
edited 01/31/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Before I go reinventing the wheel...

Has anyone created a workflow that would move or copy attachments and conversation from 1 sheet to another?

My team is merging 2 sheets into a 3rd, and while I could use DataMesh to move the cell contents from 1 sheet to anther, it won;t move the conversations or attachments - and there are a lot of them.

If you've created a workflow and are willing to share - it would save me a lot of time :-D

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MCorbin

When I use an automation with Copy Row action it copies the row to the destination sheet with the attachment and conversation intact.

When I right-click a row and choose Copy Row, then it does not send the attachments and conversation with it.

What I would do is set up a new column with a checkbox called something like Copy Row. Then set up an automation to copy the row if that box is checked. Then they can check a lot of row boxes at once and move a group of them and the attachment and convo will be intact.

• CraigO
    CraigO ✭✭✭
    edited 01/31/23

The easiest and quickest you could manage this is to add a column to your two sheets. In my example, I've called it Copy Row and formatted the column as a check box.

Then create a new automation workflow.

The trigger "When rows are added or changed" When the Copy Row is Checked

The action "Copy Rows" and then simply select your new sheet. This action will copy the full row including the comments and attachments.

Once done, hit save and check all the boxes in the Copy Row column.

Hope this helps!

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni
    edited 02/01/23

Thank you Gentlemen... BUT... The problem is - the column names are not the same in my source and destination sheets, so I'm looking to use a DataMesh-like function, but with the ability to copy the attachments.

If I use Copy Rows, it will add columns to my destination sheet. End of the world? Probably not, but hoping to find a way to do this that would be cleaner. That's why I was looking at Bridge

• Umesh Shah
    Umesh Shah ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to do the same thing and copy row doesn't work as it brings everything over. Data Mesh does not copy the attachment which is frustrating. I tried Bridge and at first it copied the attachment URL to the new sheet, then it stopped working. Even then, it only copies on attachment URL so if you have multiple attachments it only copies the last one. Not ideal, but it stopped working. I am out of ideas. I have submitted an enhancement request, but I might have better luck sacrificing a goat to to the gods.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MCorbin

@Umesh Shah

Try setting up the automation anyways. The columns that come over to the sheet which have a different name, just hide those. Then set up a formula in the differently named column on the destination sheet that just refers to the data in the other hidden column. Should work just fine.

• Umesh Shah
    Umesh Shah ✭✭✭✭

@Mike TV

Yeah, i thought of that, it's a clunky solution when Data Mesh is a more elegant way to solve it.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Umesh Shah

How are you going to get the attachments and comments over though using Data Mesh? I think the way I've described above is the only way to currently do it while maintaining attachments and comments until they update Data Mesh and/or Data Shuttle.

• TBrandl
    TBrandl ✭✭

I followed your instructions but when I get to the portion of selecting Destination sheet to copy rows to, my search results for the destination sheet brings nothing up. I know I have to be an Owner or Admin for both sheets & I am. When I try to create the workflow from the Destination sheet, I do get search results but this is the opposite of what I want to do. If I'm reading this right, you have a checkbox column in both sheets called Copy Row, and in the Source sheet, you create an automation that copies rows to the Destination sheet any time a change/add is made in the Source sheet. Am I missing a step? Do I need to set up automation to check the box in the Source Sheet Copy Row field when something is added or changed or how is the box checked when something is added/changed? What am I doing wrong that I can't find my Destination sheet?