What causes a column ID to change?

Options

Hello,

What can cause a column ID to change? We have an integration from one of our software applications to a sheet, and we are having issues because the column ID will change without us knowing. Also, is there a way to see the column ID without having to use the API? For example, through a portal?

We opened a ticket for this issue with Smartsheet on January 31, 2023, and have not yet received a response. Our case number is 05990379.

We appreciate your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Jess Cafarelli

Best Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 02/16/23 Answer ✓
    Options

@jcaf column ids would never change. and using the API is the best way to get column IDs. If you have Bridge then you can use that to get column ids as well. I would just confirm with the API you have the right column ID. then confirm in your software application that it's the same.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jcaf I've been reading/writing to Smartsheet via the API for several months and have yet to see a column ID change. If columns are reordered in the sheet, or a column is added or deleted, the order in which the API returns the column information changes. But unless a column gets deleted and another added with the same name, I don't see how a column ID could possibly change.

And as far as I know, the API is the only way for us on the user/sysadmin side to see column IDs.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 02/16/23 Answer ✓
    Options

@jcaf column ids would never change. and using the API is the best way to get column IDs. If you have Bridge then you can use that to get column ids as well. I would just confirm with the API you have the right column ID. then confirm in your software application that it's the same.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jcaf I've been reading/writing to Smartsheet via the API for several months and have yet to see a column ID change. If columns are reordered in the sheet, or a column is added or deleted, the order in which the API returns the column information changes. But unless a column gets deleted and another added with the same name, I don't see how a column ID could possibly change.

And as far as I know, the API is the only way for us on the user/sysadmin side to see column IDs.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• jcaf
    jcaf ✭✭
    edited 02/16/23
    Options

Thank you both for your answers @Samuel Mueller and @Jeff Reisman.

I will review this information with our teams to determine if their actions are affecting any of the columns that are being used with the API integration.

I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Sincerely,

Jess Cafarelli