Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Allow linked cells to trigger workflows

Options
ro.fei
ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as the title says. It's really frustrating when you want linked cells to trigger a workflow but you can't.

6 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Jerry in SC
    Jerry in SC ✭✭✭
    Options

Scenario: I have one "master" and 7 "slave" sheets, each sheet equal in design. The sheets are 600+ rows long and about 20 columns wide.

Task: On the master sheet if a user clicks the "System Task" check box, the 7 slave sheets with a linked System Task check box also get checked. This part of the process is working.

Need: Setup automation to change Status drop-down column to "Not Applicable" on the 7 slave sheets. After it did not work, contacted Support and was told due to cross-sheet formula present in System Task checkbox on the slave sheets, the automation does not work.

Attempted Work-A-Round: Created a new column in the slave sheet with this formula: =IF([System Task]@row = 1, 1, 0). When the System Task check box in the slave sheet gets checked, the new column has a 1, otherwise it defaults to 0. Setup automation to use the new column, where when column changes to a 1 it would update the status. This also did not work, and was confirmed by the support team.

Feature Request: Would like the ability to change a drop-down selection in a cell based on the status of a cell on that sheet, regardless of whether or not cross-sheet linking is involved.

• Sunein
    Sunein ✭✭
    Options

I am working on a project where I have a summary sheet for a set of deliverables per site.

I have a separate worksheet for each deliverable, where the different records for each site is uploaded and validated.

The trigger for deliverables to be due depends on a cutover date of the site, so the one update for the site goes in the summary sheet, and automatically updated in the deliverables sub files - which works fine with a simple VLOOKUP. The issue is that once the site cutover has been done, the status changes from NOT STARTED to IN PROGRESS in the different deliverables files, all with different stakeholders and different due dates. I tried implementing this using a workflow in each deliverable file which should trigger when the cutover date is changed - but it seems this feature is not available.

I think it would be a pretty useful feature to have, since it would be tedious to have to input the same date manually for 10 different delivables for the same site, just for that workflow to trigger. I find it counter-intuitive, since I expected to use SmartSheet to minimize manual operations.

I do hope we have an update where this becomes possible.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Sunein

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea!

For your specific situation, I would suggest changing the trigger to be date-based instead, then you can use your previous trigger as a Condition to look for each day.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• C. Peter Datz
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. ,

I've hit this issue a few times as well... it's very annoying. The date-based trigger isn't sufficient if we need something to be reflected in another sheet ASAP. Even if I setup a date-based automation to run every hour, the updates could still possibly lag an hour behind.