Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Row Deletion Control

Options

Owners/Admins need to have the ability to restrict the deletion of rows whether it be through not allowing editors to delete a row with a locked column or the outright ability to restrict users from deleting ANY row.

This kind of issue makes it difficult to use Smartsheet as a source of truth. It also seems like a fairly basic security feature.

Tags:
15 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/15/24
    Options

Can't find this in the Enhancement Requests, but it's all over the Community:

Quite simply, have a way to prevent users from deleting rows WHILE still allowing them to edit the unlocked cells in the row.

At minimum, create a popup warning the user they are about to delete a row. (there is a popup warning for "unlock row", but not for "delete row")

TAGS: Prevent deletion, deleted rows, restrict delete, block delete

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/37871/deleted-rows#latest

• Meredith Rhodes
    Meredith Rhodes ✭✭✭
    edited 08/10/23
    Options

Hello!

I'm interested in disabling the 'delete' function on a row, while allowing people to edit cells (ie, not locking the row). Or maybe sending the 'delete row' request to the sheet admin for review.

I have a primary database set up to create a unique identifier every time a row is added. the unique ID is a consecutive number. There are a number of cross sheet formulas to populate cells in other sheets that use that unique ID. I have spent a lot of time digging through sheet back-ups to see why certain rows (that each represent a study my team is servicing) are missing - and their deletion is reflected in other sheets where related data is suddenly missing.

I understand that part if this is awareness of the primary users and an understood process for rows that are no longer relevant - but in the interest of data integrity - I would like for this not to be an issue.

Thank you!

Meredith

• AMCGil
    AMCGil ✭✭✭
    edited 04/02/24
    Options

Create an option to prevent non-admin users from deleting rows

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn ✭✭✭
    edited 04/02/24
    Options

AGREED!!!

My sheet has ID numbers that depend on how many of a previous rows (by created date) of certain types/categories. If one use starts a row keeps it in draft stage, and then deletes it when they find they don't need it, it will affect all the subsequent ID's of rows that were created afterwards. I do not want them to delete rows unless there is a formula or other method that checks to see that it is the last one on the list (in created order) so that it cannot screw up subsequent ID's

• PPS_Shi
    PPS_Shi ✭✭
    Options

Please make it so that editors cannot delete rows, or that if they delete a row an Admin or Owner has to approve it (or easily undo it.)

We have many users using this sheet that need to edit the rows but shouldn't be able to delete a row. Especially since its too easy to accidentally delete a row on the cell phone app.