Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automation to allow Cell Change for Checkbox "Flag" or "Star"

Options
Erica L.
Erica L. ✭✭✭✭

Smartsheet TAM confirmed for me that we can't have an Automation change a cell value if the column type is a checkbox for the icons for either a Flag or Star. Can this be an enhancement request?

31 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

This is a good idea. Our team is investigating to see what it would take to enable this. When we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll plan to update the status here.

Comments

• Anthony Favara
    Options

Enable Cells with Checkbox Styles as Flags or Stars to be changed similarly to how cells with "Checkbox" styles are able to.

• KGHarvey
    Options

What actions need to be taken to enable it? My automation builder will not even recognize Flags or Stars Checkbox columns as options for automation.

• Dental
    Dental ✭✭
    Options

Yes, you can change the cell value for a checkmark box between checked and non-checked -- great

You can update the cell field to any text (i.e, "need updated copy" when X-field date is in the past) if the value needs to be changed -- getting there

However, you can't format the field or text color to anything (i.e., change to red to indicate immediate action is necessary) when the value is changed -- GRRRRR

The only way around the problem I've found is two-steps: (1) change the value via Automation, then (2) create a conditional formatting for the desired value(s)

• sheetsmartsarah
    sheetsmartsarah ✭✭✭✭
    Options

After refreshing dozens of times and running through the list of cells over and over, I found my way to this post. I can't believe it!

I changed my column to the "checkbox" style, updated my automation, changed the "checkbox" style back to the flag, and then it disabled the entire workflow. But it is a checkbox column....?

It's been over a year now. Is there any sign of this getting updated?

I want rows to automatically be "flagged" based on certain conditions. A checkbox implies that something is "good to go" or "complete". The flag style will show that something needs to be reviewed -- "attention required". I don't want people to manually skim the sheet for the conditions that require attention.