Automation trigger question

GAParkins
GAParkins ✭✭
edited 03/30/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I'll try to describe the issue as best I can: I have a notification automation that is triggered by a row change (an attachment is added). The automation must also meet two conditions, both of which are checkboxes that must be checked to satisfy the two conditions.

The first of these checkboxes triggers an earlier automation that uses Document Builder to fill out a PDF and attach it to the row. The second checkbox starts a third automation that ultimately results in another attachment being added to the row.

The problem I'm having is that when the second checkbox is checked, the notification automation is sending the notification both before the second PDF is returned to the row and after the second PDF is returned to the row. When the second checkbox is checked, the first attachment (created by the Document Builder automation) is already attached to the row, and the sheet has been saved and refreshed. In other words, the basic trigger condition of an attachment being added is not being met.

It seems as if the logical test of the trigger condition is that an attachment exists, not that a new attachment was added.

Can someone help me understand if I'm missing something or is this a gap in the trigger logic that the dev. team needs to address?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @GAParkins

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå

Screenshot 1 is the Document Builder automation triggered by the first checkbox.

Screenshot 2 is the automation that integrates with Zapier, Google Docs, and SignNow to collect a signature on a document and return the executed PDF to the row.

Screenshot 3 is the notification automation that is supposed to be triggered by the return of the executed document by the automation from Screenshot 2. Unfortunately, it is being triggered twice. Once as soon as the Screenshot 2 automation is triggered, and again when the Screenshot 2 automation completes and the executed PDF is attached.

Checking the "Send Reg Docs" box does not add or change the already-existing attachment created by the automation in Screenshot 1. Often, the automation from Screenshot 2 does not get triggered for a couple of days after the automation from Screenshot 1 has been completed.

The problem is that the staff are getting a notification immediately on triggering the automation in Screenshot 2, and it is confusing, as they need to be notified when the executed document is returned by the client, not both times.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GAParkins

Have you tried adding a final step to the Zapier workflow that indicates that the whole process is completed and then added that as a condition in the Smartsheet Workflow(s).

Make sense?

Would that work/

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå

I just got off of the phone with Smartsheet tech support. Here's what worked:

Another automation was created. The trigger is: "Rows added or changed"

Criteria is: "Send Reg Docs" is checked

Schedule is: When Triggered

Result is a notification sent to a notification collection email box

Notification message configuration includes: Subject, Body text, and Links to Sheet and specific fields [an attachment]

The workaround gives us the added benefit of a date/time record of when the registration docs were sent to the client.

Thanks very much for your help...I think we have this problem solved.

Geoff Parkins

Parkins Financial, LLC

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Geoff Parkins

Excellent!

Glad you got it working!

You're more than welcome!

Please support the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!