Dynamic View - Stop New Entries after Date

Options
ker9
ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to use field logic to prevent new entries after a specific date?

I know how to prevent changes to existing data, but is there a method to prevent additions.

For example, 1am on Sat. 6/1

TIA

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would need to set up two columns in the source sheet.

Date type column populated by a Record A Date automation set to run daily.

Dropdown Type column with options of "Lock" and "Unlock" and a column formula (basic IF) to output "Lock" once the previously mentioned date column is greater than 6/1.

=IF([Date Column]@row>= DATE(2023, 06, 01), "Lock", "Unlock")

Then you would use two separate sets of logic in the dynamic view. One would be that if the dropdown column is "Unlock" then show your fields as editable. The other would be if the dropdown column is "Lock" then show fields as read only or just not show any fields at all. Read only fields can't be updated even when adding a new row through the dynamic view, and of course fields that aren't shown at all can't be updated.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Paul Newcome

Thank you for your response.

I have automation setup to change a column (Change Status) to "Locked" at 1am on 6/1 - I ran it today and locked all the data for testing purposes, so every row is now "Locked" in the Change Status column.

In case I needed a formula for the DV, I added column "DV Lock" (If "Change Status" = "Locked", "Locked", "Open").

I setup the logic in the DV and it works as expected for existing data.

It does not prevent new entries I guess because the formula doesn't kick in until after the row is added or I'm missing something.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I added an Enhancement Request - the ability to reference sheet summary fields in logic would help with this problem.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/105329/dynamic-view-logic-new-entries-sheet-summary-fields/p1?new=1