Smartsheet and Teams - open within Teams

Options

Answers

• CWibben
    CWibben ✭✭✭
    edited 06/08/23
    Options

I have Smartsheet & Microsoft Teams open on my computer. Yet, every time I want to view a Smartsheet project plan within Teams, I need to log in every time. Is there a way to avoid this additional login?

Secondly, when I click login, it opens in a new browser and opens Smartsheet again & does not open the Smartsheet project plan w/in Teams.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @CWibben

Can you clarify how Smartsheet is integrated with Teams in your instance? Is this a tab that's added or a link out to Smartsheet?

If it's a tab, you should only need to sign in once (each time you open up Teams) in order to view the content directly within Teams.

You can skip the login step by ensuring that the tab that's added is a published link to the sheet or item that does not require a login, if that helps. See: Publish a Sheet, Report, or Dashboard

Cheers,

Genevieve

• CWibben
    CWibben ✭✭✭
    Options

It's a tab at the top of Teams (+, then added Smartsheet) to the respective channel. Each time I click on it, I get a "Log in to Smartsheet to access this content." w/ a Smartsheet link. However, I am already logged into Smartsheet & the link simply opens another browser window of which I need to sign in again. It does not change the window in Teams or allow me to open Smartsheet in Teams. I did click "Publish" when I added the Smartsheet integration. Suggestions?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @CWibben

If you Published the sheet, which Access Control option did you select?

Try using the option that says "Available to anyone with the link". This will skip the login step as it won't need access verification:

Let me know if this worked for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• CWibben
    CWibben ✭✭✭
    edited 07/28/23
    Options

Thank you - The fix above did work, but I prefer the idea that they need to be on the Owner's account vs. anyone w/ a link which can open up security issues. With the "Only available to users in the Owner's account" option, I own the sheet & I still couldn't open it - is something not working properly?

• Steve_Mitchell
    Steve_Mitchell ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was going to create a new post but since my issue is similar I hope you don't mind piggybacking on this since it is current. If you prefer I can delete it and create a new one...

I assume there needs to be a login at some point so Smartsheet knows what user it is dealing with so it can apply appropriate permissions to the plan - but the user experience is kind of clunky especially when you compare it to native MS apps like Planner, etc. where you just click and it opens (perhaps like a published sheet?).

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you open a sheet with a published link as anyone with the link - how does Smartsheet know who the sheet is really shared with and what permissions they should have? My plans have multiple users for editing, viewing, etc.

What I have found and as expected, if you log out of teams and back in you will be prompted for login. But I've also determined there is a timeout or something as it re-prompts to sign in even if you just leave that team/channel for a while.

Then, the user experience is not great as they have to go through three (3) dialog prompts as below:

Then, what I consider a possible bug - is as soon as you click that final allow - instead of going to the sheet that was specified when tab was added, it goes to the explorer view to pick a sheet!

However, if you simply reload the tab it will then open the specified sheet/plan.

There has to be a lot of people using this add sheet to Tab functionality, anyone else experiencing this?

Some possible suggestion to create a better user experience...

1. Skip the initial Connect to Smartsheet prompt, it is redundant to the second
    2. We use 'Sign in with MS' button. It would be great if Smartsheet was smart enough to just pull user credentials from Teams and auto login to Teams, bypassing all the screens
    3. Why the screen to pick a sheet? This has to be a bug...

If a published app could avoid the above but still limit users to their proper permission I would be open to looking at it.

Anyone using this functionality with a different experience?

• thisveryday
    Options

This too is a major frustration for our Company