Reviewer is unable to click "Approved" in proof

Hi,

Many of our internal clients report that they cannot click the "Approved" or "Requires Changes" buttons on proofs we send to them.

I've confirmed that the proof was sent to the correct person. And that the person is logged in with an email that matches the person the proof was sent to. Here is a quick video showing the problem: https://kidney.zoom.us/rec/share/_K_6wUpdeo5EEY-waqtoOFIZpJE_zZsJ0waBSkBoqCc9rKETb0QyGhmDvHiD2syn.ZJcfThPjnADNBm0b 

Passcode: @2uUepsy

Any idea why this is happening?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is this happening every time for this user?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Sunilv
    Sunilv ✭✭

Yes, every time on this proof. But proofs on other projects work fine for her. Other users report the same issue (it works sometimes and not other times).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It works for other proofs within the same sheet? If so, you may want to reach out to Support.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Sunilv
    Sunilv ✭✭

I think I see the problem. Somehow the same email address is associated with 2 accounts. One was created using Microsofts SSO and one was created by entering the email and choosing a unique password (the normal way). I'm not sure how to resolve this. Thank you, Paul.

• Neil Egsgard
    Neil Egsgard ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/14/23

I have confirmed the same issue with an email associated with a user and one not associated with a user. We have single sign on users. Here are screen shots of the issue and the workaround. The issue was first reported the week of August 7, 2023.

Issue

User unable to approve or reject proof because Smartsheet has two versions of their email, one version attached to their user via single sign on and the other one not.

Same email, one a user and one not

Error when trying to act on proof and invited as non-user email

Solution

The solution is to use a "Contract reviewer" column to ensure the user with the email is always invited. When inviting in the proof, invite the "Contract reviewers" column. Any contact column can be invited to the Proof.

Contract Review column which is a Proof Info column

Contract reviewer column invite in Proof

Deleting extra email

So far, Smartsheet has not been able to remove the extra email.

• Isaac Jose
    Isaac Jose Employee

Hello @Neil Egsgard ,

I am the technical lead for this feature on our support team here at Smartsheet. I've determined that the duplicates occur when the user exists in your Smartsheet Personal Contacts (lower-left profile icon My Smartsheet Contacts). You should be able to remove users from your Personal Contacts if they already exist in your organizations User Management list.

I'm investigating if other scenarios may exist which display duplicates in this way. I will be working with the product team on a programmatic solution. Note that while I was able to reproduce the appearance of duplicates, I was not able to reproduce the error you were seeing in this particular scenario. I was able to generate the same error if the user was shared to the sheet with Commenter permissions, however this is irrespective of the duplicates (non-duplicated users with Commenter permissions encountered the same roadblock).

Let us know if you have any other findings that may aid our investigation of the error behavior. We will work on resolving the duplication issue so that Personal Contacts do not cause this issue in the future.

Kind regards,

Isaac J

Smartsheet Support

Technical Lead / Escalations Engineer

• Csellers
    Csellers ✭✭✭

@Isaac Jose Hi! Should users with commenter level permission be able to approve proofs if invited? If they are, we are having an issue with this and it doesn't seem to be related to the Personal Contacts duplication issue.

Thanks,

Corissa Sellers

• Neil Egsgard
    Neil Egsgard ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/28/23

@Isaac Jose , I have confirmed that WorkApps breaks effectiveness of proof email links. The "Approve" and "Require Change" buttons do not work via email link when a WorkApp is used to restrict access to certain records and a sheet.

Initial conditions

1. WorkApps are used to restrict access to specific records on sheet with proofs. This is to ensure users only see the proofs they should review and cannot see proofs for others. We use it for draft contract review.
    2. Users do not have access to the sheet with the proofs.
    3. Users do have access to their records on the sheet via report in WorkApps.
    4. User is invited to review a proof.

Problem with email invite to review proof

• User receives email invite.
    • User clicks link in email.
    • Proof review opens.
    • User can make comments.
    • User gets errors when trying to click approve or changes required buttons. In the screenshot below, Required Changes was clicked via the WorkApp report. The error appeared when I clicked Approve or Require Changes.

Access via WorkApp report

• User can access the proof via the WorkApp report with no issues

Neil Egsgard

• Isaac Jose
    Isaac Jose Employee

@Csellers Hi, we are currently investigating the issue with Commenter permissions. All other permissions (including Viewer) seem to work fine.

• Isaac Jose
    Isaac Jose Employee

@Neil Egsgard I wasn't able to replicate the exact issue you're seeing. If you can submit a support ticket with a link to this thread and let me know the case number, we may be able to hop on a call to flesh out the behavior.

Findings:

• If the person inviting a reviewer is not shared to the source sheet, no invite gets sent
    • If the recipient/reviewer has Commenter permissions on the source sheet, they get the error you're seeing
    • If the recipient/reviewer has Viewer, Editor, or Admin permissions to the source sheet, no error occurs
    • If the recipient/reviewer is not shared to the source sheet, no error occurs
    • WorkApp roles and report-level permissions did not seem to impact the behavior

Tests I did:

Test 1:

1. As User001, create a sheet, report, and WorkApp. Add a proof to the sheet
    2. As User001, open the WorkApp and navigate to the report. Click the proof and invite User002 to review it
    3. As User002, open the email and click the link to review the proof. Approval was successful without errors

Test 2/3/4:

1. As User001, create a sheet, report, and WorkApp. Add a proof to the sheet
    2. Add User002 to the WorkApp with Edit permission to the report within the WorkApp. User002 does not have access to the sheet or report
    3. As User002, open the WorkApp and navigate to the report. Open the Proof and invite User001 to review the proof. No error occurs, but no invite gets sent.
    4. Repeat step 3 but attempt to invite User003 to review the proof. No invite gets sent.
    5. As User001, share User002 to the source sheet.
    6. Repeat step 3 and 4 as User002, the invite gets sent successfully. The recipients can approve or deny without error

• Neil Egsgard
    Neil Egsgard ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/30/23

@Isaac Jose , to duplicate the error.

1. As User001, create a sheet, report, and WorkApp. Add a proof to the sheet.
    2. As User001, invite User002 to review the proof in one of the following ways
      1. Invite via proof directly from sheet not via WorkApp
      2. Invite via proof from sheet via WorkApp
      3. Invite via proof access from report on WorkApp
    3. As User002, open the email and click the link to review the proof. User is able to see the proof and comment but gets error when they click "Requires Changes" or "Approve".

User002 is able to click "Requires Changes" or "Approve" without error if they access the proof via the WorkApp report and not through the email link.

Case ID 06431509

Neil

• scot tupper
    scot tupper ✭✭✭✭✭

@Isaac Jose I was about to submit a support ticket for the same thing. While we do not use WorkApps, based on your findings, I can see similar behavior in my account, where someone invited to a proof, with commenter access to the sheet, is experiencing the same issue with the buttons.

• Isaac Jose
    Isaac Jose Employee

@scot tupper Thanks for the additional report! We have a solution to the Commenter-permissions issue going through code review now. I don't have an ETA yet, but we hope that it'll make it into the next core release.

• Isaac Jose
    Isaac Jose Employee

Hello all,

The issues with Commenter permissions and duplicate users in the list when requesting review should be resolved. This is separate from Neil's issue in WorkApps which is still being investigated.

Best,

Isaac