Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Flexible Date Formatting

Options

I have discovered 27 distinct methods for formatting dates, not including variations in separators. Unfortunately, Smartsheet only offers 10 date format choices. In the IT field, aligning data with its intended use is crucial, and proper date formatting plays a significant role in multi-factor authentication. If a user requires the MM/DD/YYYY format, but Smartsheet displays the year as two digits, it will create problems.

I have a scenario where we test new software with a group of over 500 testers. To access their assigned testing persona and credentials, testers refer to their name on Smartsheet. For some users, the DOB is used as part of the Multi-Factor Authentication, similar to a healthcare patient accessing their medical records through a portal. However, if the testers only see the last two digits of the year (YY) instead of the full year (YYYY), authentication will fail.

Having all the possible date formats and separators in the drop-down list would be fantastic.

12 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I found this suggesting while searching for a specific date format. MM/DD/YYYY is an extremely popular format and I use it almost exclusively, outside of Smartsheet.

• Lesa Weaver
    Lesa Weaver ✭✭✭
    Options

We have this issue with the Smartsheet to Docusign interface. DocuSign requires the MM/DD/YYYY format, but Smartsheet stores the year as two digits. So when we send a document to Docusign with dates that were selected with the calendar on their dashboard, they have to change it/select it again in Docusign or it won't let them sign. This is creating problems when people just need to sign.

Also when we export the data from Smartsheet, I'm having to change all the date formats manually before using the data in other systems! It's alot of extra work.

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn ✭✭✭
    Options

Not only that, we may just want different formats for preference. There should be a user setting that just picks up the format they prefer from the Windows control panel.

I prefer "YYYY-MM-DD" because it sorts better in many other platforms and the delineators are cleaner than hashes and periods--totally a preference. But I also want "ddd YYYY-MM-DD" so that we can easily recognize days of the week when dates are closer.

We really need custom user format strings like in regular spreadsheets and apps.