DocuSign: Creating a Dynamic File Name

Options

I am using the document generation with DocuSign capability. All but one of my fields are successfully populated in the generation and passed on to file that ends up in DocuSign. However, I am having trouble with carrying over the generated file name from Smartsheet to DocuSign.

DocuSign seems to ignore the file name in Smartsheet and instead uses the file name of the attachment in the DocuSign Template.

For example, in Smartsheet my generated file is called xyz.pdf. In DocuSign the template that it matches to has a file name 123.pdf. The file then in the generated envelop is named 123.pdf. The 123.pdf is then sent out in the signees thru the DocuSign notifications. Yet, when the workflow is complete in Smartsheet it attaches to the row the signed document with the name xyz.pdf. As a result we have a discrepancy in the name that is in Smartsheet ..and the file name that is sent out via the DocuSign notifications.

Also, if I initiate creating an envelop directly in DocuSign with an attachment named xyz.pdf and apply the same template that is used in the integration. DocuSign uses the name of the attachment (as expected) and names it xyz.pdf.

Does the Smartsheet to Docusign integration just not pass the file name from Smartsheet to Docusign? Am I missing a setting on the mapping or the DocuSign template?

Thanks,

Scott

Answers

• Maeearly
    Options

@scottreiter

Here is the way I formalize a naming scheme when using the DocuSign integration

1) Create a reference column called "document title"

2) Create a "source" column that identifies the type of document being used (in forms and DocuSign, I have a hidden, read-only field that has the source already selected and mapped to the SS source field)

3) insert the following formula into "document title" and set as column formula:

• =JOIN([Last Name]@row + "_" + (YEAR(Modified@row)) + "-" + (MONTH(Modified@row)) + "_" + Source@row)

*Obviously, you can use whatever data points/columns you want to use in your formula. The one above happens to work great for us. I do highly recommended adopting the "source" column, as it allows for flexibility when using the same scheme across workspaces.

4) When mapping fields in the editing area, drag the "document title" field into the title area, and the actual file name will then be dynamic like other fields. You cannot type directly into the title field field during mapping if you want titles to be fully dynamic.

This is one of my favorite discoveries of the Smartsheet-DocuSign integration. We use the same name-scheming formula for every document mapping, and it is perfect! 😀 Hope this helps!

MAE EARLY-WILMER

Virginia Tech | Blacksburg, VA

Change Agent in Higher Education

contact@maeearlywilmer.com

maeearlywilmer.com

• scottreiter
    scottreiter ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you please elaborate more on step 2 on how you have it set up on the DocuSign side.

I have a document column in SS that has my desired file name. (Step 1). I have a formula to create a unique name (Step 3) and it populates the document title field. In SS, I have mapped the document title column to the title area. (Step 4).

Can you describe more what I have to set up on the DocuSign template and PDF form to 'Receive' the document name from SS? Is there a special field type I need to set up in DocuSign/ PDF so it knows to use it for the file name?

Thanks,

Scott

• scottreiter
    scottreiter ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Maeearly Can you please elaborate more on step 2 on how you have it set up on the DocuSign side.

I have a document column in SS that has my desired file name. (Step 1). I have a formula to create a unique name (Step 3) and it populates the document title field. In SS, I have mapped the document title column to the title area. (Step 4).

Can you describe more what I have to set up on the DocuSign template and PDF form to 'Receive' the document name from SS? Is there a special field type I need to set up in DocuSign/ PDF so it knows to use it for the file name?

Thanks,

Scott

• Maeearly
    Maeearly ✭✭
    edited 08/02/23
    Options

@scottreiter,

You can use dynamic fields from Smartsheet on the DocuSign side, assuming the template is not used outside of a Smartsheet integration. However, this only lets you control email subjects and email content, and does not allow you to change how the the file name is saved within DocuSign itself (unfortunately). To solve this problem, I built a workflow using Power Automate that saves attachments from all emails from DocuSign (the attachment setting should be turned on in DS settings) by the email subject for the file names. I have an email address set aside specifically for receiving completed documents that is built into every template. (In Google Workspace, this email address is an "auxiliary" to my primary account and carries the same security.)

So, when a document is completed, the email subject is "Completed: {{Document Title}}" (or whatever the column name is for the document title in Smartsheet). That becomes the file name and is automatically saved to whichever Google Drive Folder I have it routed to.

It is likely that some of Smartsheet's advanced connections features, which we do not have, may simply just pull Smartsheet files into a designated folder elsewhere. But the solution I've sorted out above is my workaround to that. Either way, the files will save to the respective Smartsheet row as an attachment with whatever you have set as the document title on the SS side of the SS-DS integration. Those who have coding knowledge would likely be able to use API solutions using the saved SS files as the source, but I do not have that skillset or know-how. Therefore, I like to use whatever no-code solutions available to me. If you do not have Power Automate, you may be able to find another no-code option to assist you or find someone to help you flesh out coding solutions in Google Scripts.

There may be other options I am unfamiliar with, so I would love to see if others without coding knowledge and advanced Smartsheet features have solutions they have used. Because, if you ask me, the thing I hate most when it comes to record retention and file management is having to manually rename documents! It is the absolute worst!

Mae

MAE EARLY-WILMER

Virginia Tech | Blacksburg, VA

Change Agent in Higher Education

contact@maeearlywilmer.com

maeearlywilmer.com