SCC Blueprint - Customize Profile Data

Options
RyanF
RyanF ✭✭
edited 05/07/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello Smartsheet Community,

I am working on creating a Blueprint in Smartsheet's Control Center. Would someone be able to help me understand the differences between the "Cell Link", "One Time Write", and "Editable Value" options when on the customizing profile data page in my Blueprint settings? I haven't been able to find anything on these three options that helps me understand what they are for. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Answer

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure thing Ryan. I will try to explain it as best as I can, but if you still have questions let me know.

Cell Link - Links the cells together so that any time the source changes, the destination will also be updated. This is useful for keeping information updated throughout the life of the project as things change

One Time Write - Exactly what it says it is. The information will be written into the cell one time, and no updates will occur as data changes on the source sheet

Editable Value - People deploying projects from the blueprint will be able to edit the value for this field when setting up the project

I hope that helps.

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure thing Ryan. I will try to explain it as best as I can, but if you still have questions let me know.

Cell Link - Links the cells together so that any time the source changes, the destination will also be updated. This is useful for keeping information updated throughout the life of the project as things change

One Time Write - Exactly what it says it is. The information will be written into the cell one time, and no updates will occur as data changes on the source sheet

Editable Value - People deploying projects from the blueprint will be able to edit the value for this field when setting up the project

I hope that helps.

• RyanF
    RyanF ✭✭
    Options

@David Tutwiler Thank you very much! This is very helpful information, and exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the help!

• MOC
    MOC ✭✭✭
    Options

Is there a way to make the destination a one time write and then be editable? I'd like to pull data in from a form and use it as a starting point, but then let my team update those fields in the projects that are created using data from that first collection point.

• David Tutwiler
    Options

I think One Time Write might do exactly that.

• Michelle Valdes
    Options

As a follow up to this thread regarding "One Time Write", if you set up a field as a One Time Write, and the field is edited on a sheet, will the data be updated back to the Intake and/or Summary Sheets? If not, is there any other way to accomplish this (meaning collect the data at Intake, and then be able to edit a data field on a sheet and have it write back to the Intake and Summary Sheets)?

• AWentz
    AWentz ✭✭
    Options

@David Tutwiler - could you further explain the Editable Value functionality? The Help Guide doesn't have that listed as an option to select ( https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482115-global-updates-profile-data

What I'm wondering is if a Project Manager would have the ability to edit a field marked as "Editable Value" on the Intake sheet if the Intake sheet is not shared with them (as we don't want to provide access to the entire intake sheet)

• David Tutwiler
    Options

@AWentz this depends on how you have Control Center set up. When selecting how these fields will work, you have to remember that you're setting up your blueprint for the people who will be provisioning projects in Control Center, not necessarily the people who will use the assets once everything is deployed.

Editable Value means that the people provisioning the projects in Control Center will be able to edit the value as they are going through the process of deploying a new project through Control Center. It does not really pertain to how people might use it once it is deployed.

As long as your project managers don't have access to the intake sheet, they shouldn't see this field to be able to edit it.

• AWentz
    AWentz ✭✭
    Options

@David Tutwiler - Thank you for the quick response. That clarifies how it works - thanks!