Optimizing Dynamic View Performance Through Reports

Options

I'm looking to improve performance of a very large sheet by breaking its records into smaller, identical sheets (split up by record category)... then merging all of these smaller sheets back into a report. Many of our stakeholders interact with our sheet via Dynamic View, which means I would rebuild our Dynamic Views on top of this resulting merged report.

Before I go through this effort, I'm wondering if any community members could validate this strategy. In particular:

• Does having a ‘report’ layer under DV cause additional latency when interacting with the report’s underlying sheets?
  • Does loading and saving a (potentially very large) merged report in DV risk the same performance issues as working with an equally large sheet? The key here is that with the merged report, it's assumed multiple underlying sheets are now splitting up workload...

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Answers

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you providing the capability to add a new record in Dynamic View? If so, this will not work because in your DV, you will need to specify which sheet (of all the sheets the report uses) you want your new record to go to, and you can only pick one.

Smartsheet Solutions Architect

www.adapture.com

• gwenjo
    gwenjo ✭✭✭
    Options

In my case the DVs are pretty simple, they allow users to only modify specific cells in existing records. I'll be managing which sheet/category new records go to during the intake process.