Smartsheet data in Power BI Date fields - Remove Timestamp?

When I import my Smartsheet data to Power BI, the start and end date fields consistently pull with a timestamp that is nowhere in my sheet. I need these date columns to just have dates, timestamps removed entirely, so that I can tell Power BI the data type is "date" rather than "text." Is there a way to do this on the Smartsheet side of things, I don't have background with DAX and would rather not have to solve it via the Power BI interface if possible.

Carly Chaput, PMP (she/her)

Project Manager | Program Management

www.linkedin.com/in/carly-chaput

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think the data importing like this is just an oddity of the interface, but it's simple and quick to fix:

In desktop Power BI you should be able to change the column data type to Date rather than Date/time.

To:

Equally when you create the data source from Smartsheet you can pick the column type so if it is defaulting to date/time you can change it to date.

This can also be done if your BI is already made by editing the query (table) and changing the column header by first right clicking the data table on the right hand side and then clicking on the icon in the header:

This doesn't require needing to do any Dax coding and should be relatively straightforward - the changes remain when the data is refreshed so you don't need to worry about needing to redo it.