Impact of archiving on non-Dynamic Reports?

Options

When I archive a project, what happens to any reports that are not set up as Dynamic Reports? Is there a way to automatically continue including them in those non-Dynamic Reports? I know you can retain archived projects in Dynamic Reports, but these do not fit that condition. Thanks for your help.

Steve Reed, Smartsheet Practice Lead/Architect

ADAPTURE, Smartsheet Platinum Partner

sreed@adapture.com | 843.422.1484

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It depends on your archive process as well as how your reports are set up.

• Steve@VHL
    Options

@Paul Newcome Thanks for your response. This is probably not a simple conversation, but I would love to get your perspective on the factors--both on the archiving process and the reporting side--that impact this situation. This is for a client that we have started working with recently that already had their solution completed. We are coming in to optimize it, and I want to ensure that our team addresses any current weaknesses.

By the way, I am disappointed that I did not get to meet you at ENGAGE last week. It was a whirlwind week--so many people to talk to. You were one of several that I did not get around to. Hope you had a good week in Seattle.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Last week was definitely a crazy one. Maybe next year!

AS for the archiving / reporting piece... The simplest way to answer this would be that if you report is set up to reference an entire workspace (or entire workspaces) then it will reference everything there.

If your archiving process moves those sheets out of the workspace, then your report will no longer grab it, but... You could just update your report to reference the archive workspace as well.

The trick to referencing entire workspaces and not pulling in rows from hundreds or thousands of sheets is to include a report filter that filters based on Sheet Name.

If you can outline more of the steps regarding the projects (new workspaces or folders within the same workspace) and the archiving process (move to new workspace or stay in same workspace), I'd be happy to help with advice on how to set up the non-dynamic reports.

To be completely honest... The ONLY time I use dynamic reports in Control Center builds is when each project is provisioned in its own workspace which for me is rare. I usually end up creating non-dynamic reports and referencing entire workspaces as needed.