Highlight duplicate entries

Options

Hello,

We are using Smartsheet to track payables and would like some sort of conditional formatting or formula to alert us if an invoice number is a duplicate on the same sheet. Is there a way to do this?

Similarly, could we use a formula to look to other sheets as well? Or are formulas self contained within each sheet?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/06/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Karen__ ,

I would use a helper column. You could name it "Dup Check" or anything you would like. You could optionally make this a hidden column.

Use this column formula for it:

=IF(COUNTIF([Invoice Number]:[Invoice Number], [Invoice Number]@row) >= 2, 1, 0)

Replace "Invoice Number" with your invoice number column name if it's different than what I guessed.

Then create a Conditional Formatting rule that states "If Dup Check is 1 then apply...."

Hope that helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/06/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Karen__ ,

I would use a helper column. You could name it "Dup Check" or anything you would like. You could optionally make this a hidden column.

Use this column formula for it:

=IF(COUNTIF([Invoice Number]:[Invoice Number], [Invoice Number]@row) >= 2, 1, 0)

Replace "Invoice Number" with your invoice number column name if it's different than what I guessed.

Then create a Conditional Formatting rule that states "If Dup Check is 1 then apply...."

Hope that helps!

BRgds,

-Ray