Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Sort for Only You vs. Sort for All Viewers

Options

It would be super helpful to allow users to sort a sheet without applying the sort to all individuals actively viewing the sheet. We have many shared sheets that are worked on in parallel, and when one person sorts it affects the other person's work.

Tags:
12 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @aemerson1325

Filters in Sheets are currently user-specific, meaning that if I have a filter applied, you could have a different one applied and it won't change either of our views.

Are you perhaps talking about Sorting a sheet, or using a filter in a Report?

• aemerson1325
    Options

@Genevieve P. yes to both! sorting in a sheet and filtering in a report

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @aemerson1325

Thanks for clarifying that you meant Sort, not filter! I've updated your post to allow others to vote on this idea 🙂

For allowing Editors to change the Filters in a Report without affecting the view for other members, it would be helpful to have this be a completely separate Idea post as these are different features. That way we can gather different votes on both ideas to see what would be more valuable for our members. It would also be helpful to hear an exact scenario where this would be ideal for you.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• JMitchell
    Options

I agree that this is 110% necessary. I know there are "workaround" suggestions such as reports, however, we need a solution that does not involve a workaround. Sorting and filtering should be user-specific.

• MariaCurtis
    MariaCurtis ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi! Can you please allow the sheet owner to determine the Default way a sheet is sorted, but allow others to change the sort just for their personal view? We have had a few instances where someone changes the sort order on a sheet, not knowing it changes the order for everyone else who has access to that sheet.

Or at least allow an "Undo Sort" button so a sheet owner or admin can revert back to original view if needed?

• PM_Reeves
    PM_Reeves ✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/19/24
    Options

Hi Maria,

not sure if it's any use to you, but I achieve this through Filters.

I have several sheets and 5 other PM's, and have created a filter for each, then just de-select the filter when I want the holistic view.

It's not an ideal solution, but it works for us.

Have a great day.

• MariaCurtis
    MariaCurtis ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @PM_Reeves

Yes, we use LOTS of filters as well. But that's slightly different than sorting and re-ordering. Thank you though! I am open to hearing other potential workarounds anyone has!