Has the ability to state a type (start day) in WEEKNUMBER been removed

I had this formula which generated a week number with the start date being Friday due to the type being '15'

=IF(Date@row <> "", WEEKNUMBER(Date@row, 15), "")

which used to work.

Now the type within the function seems to be ignored.

Has the ability to specify a week start date within the WEEKNUMBER function been removed

Thanks

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @RichardJ

It sounds like you may be referring to an Excel function. Smartsheet's WEEKNUMBER Function does not have the ability to add in a "type" to adjust when the week starts. Smartsheet calculates week numbers based on Mondays.

Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

In the meantime, how I personally adjust this is by using the WEEKDAY function as well. I my sheets, my work week starts on a Sunday, so I've adjusted the formula like so:

=IF(WEEKDAY(Date@row) = 1, WEEKNUMBER(Date@row) + 1, WEEKNUMBER(Date@row))

If your week starts on a Friday, you could do something similar:

=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(Date@row) = 1, WEEKDAY(Date@row) >= 6), WEEKNUMBER(Date@row) + 1, WEEKNUMBER(Date@row))

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @RichardJ

It sounds like you may be referring to an Excel function. Smartsheet's WEEKNUMBER Function does not have the ability to add in a "type" to adjust when the week starts. Smartsheet calculates week numbers based on Mondays.

Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

In the meantime, how I personally adjust this is by using the WEEKDAY function as well. I my sheets, my work week starts on a Sunday, so I've adjusted the formula like so:

=IF(WEEKDAY(Date@row) = 1, WEEKNUMBER(Date@row) + 1, WEEKNUMBER(Date@row))

If your week starts on a Friday, you could do something similar:

=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(Date@row) = 1, WEEKDAY(Date@row) >= 6), WEEKNUMBER(Date@row) + 1, WEEKNUMBER(Date@row))

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now