Report with 6 underlying sheets, using dynamic view, will not allow to make a comment in the view

DaniStick
DaniStick ✭✭
edited 11/15/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

We have six sheets, i have view permissions in all six sheets (So i can add to the report) and created the dynamic view from the report. Intent is that using the dymanic view control one user can comment on a task. I can comment on tasks from my sheet, and the person in the dynamic view contact list can see and comment back. But I (with the higher access) cannot, I get "this action is not allowed - There was an error while accessing Smartsheet.com

" Here are my settings:

What are we doing wrong? Is this not supposed to allow us to not only see someone's tasks without access to underlying sheet but also comment and add attachments? (I can do neither)

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 11/15/23

Hi @DaniStick

When you say you have view permissions on the source sheet, do you mean that you can see the sheet (with Editor or Admin permissions) or that you have Viewer permissions?

If you only have Viewer Permissions on the underlying sheets, and then you are the account that created the View, you won't be able to add comments through the Dynamic View.

You will need the owners of the sheets to give you at least Commenter permissions on the sheets, or have someone who is shared with higher level permissions be the one to create the Dynamic View. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I have commenter on the source sheet, I am owner on the report that pulls in all source sheets and owner of the dynamic view of this report. It seems odd that all can comment on tasks from my source sheets, but I cannot comment on theirs.

• Hi @DaniStick

Even if you are the owner of the Report, you will need to have permissions to edit/comment on the underlying sheets (all of them). Creating a Report looking at those sheets does not automatically give you higher level permissions... otherwise anyone could edit sheets they can only View by simply creating a Report item.

Same thing with Dynamic View. The Owner of the items can create the View to give permissions to users without giving them access to the underlying sheet. However if the Owner of the View does not have the correct permissions on the sheets, you won't automatically get upgraded to be able to take those actions.

Can you ask your permission levels to be upgraded on all of the source sheets?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now