Copy a date in a cell that is formated as a date

Hello everyone,

i have a layout where project managers fill in all relevant information into an intake sheet.

And then i have created some formulas and automation so that the project sheets would fill themselves upon creation. So far so good.

Now I have different date columns in the project sheet that need to be filed in with the right date. But i can't put a formula in the cell because its formatted as a date and one can't put a formula in a date cell.

Copying a whole row or column is not an option. I just need the cell for the end date of the project. Because the other dates in my project sheet calculate themselves in depending on the end date.

Is there a solution to my problem?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can enter formulas in date type columns. You cannot enter formulas into date columns being used by dependency settings though.

But... You can use cell linking from another sheet. Are you using Control Center to deploy new projects?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hey Paul,

first of all thank you very much for your answer.

I made it work with linking the cell from another sheet. The only issue now is that it takes quite long to update the date when it gets changed in the original sheet. It takes 1-2 minutes and multiple refreshes and now saves of the sheet. Is this normal or is there a way to speed this process up?

And we do not have Control Center.