Data offload to an existing excel file

Options

Hi,

How can I offload data from a Smartsheet grid to an existing excel sheet?

I merely want to add on data, and am not looking for a new sheet to be created.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Zachary Hall
    Zachary Hall ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Devorah Strulovic,

If you plan includes the ability, you can set this up using a Data Shuttle to be done on a schedule or when you select it manually. Your Excel file would need to be on a SharePoint or OneDrive in order to make this set up work.

If you want to see how to get started with Data Shuttle you can read about it here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2483039-Advance-Capabilities-Evaluations#toc-data-shuttle

Hope this helps!

Best,

Zach Hall

Training Delivery Manager / Charter Communications

• Devorah Strulovic
    Options

HI,

@Zachary Hall I am aware of the capability to do this with data mesh.

However, how do I ensure that data shuttle does not create a new excel file, but rather updates a specific file?

Do you have any experience with this? they only allow me to select folder upon where to place the new excel, but I cannot select a file.

• Zachary Hall
    Zachary Hall ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It will create a new file the first time you run it, but subsequent runs will only update the original file you create. If it is crucial to leave this updating data in an existing Excel file you already have in place, you could:

• Set up the Data Shuttle
    • Execute it to generate a new Excel file
    • Create a data connection in the existing Excel file to the file you created using Data Shuttle (You can do this on the Data tab in Excel by clicking on Get Data > From File > From Excel Workbook)

Hope that helps!

Best,

Zach Hall

Training Delivery Manager / Charter Communications