Using full stops or commas for numbers

radix
radix ✭✭✭
edited 12/04/23 in Smartsheet Basics

***Translated via Google Translate by a Moderator as the Community is currently only supported in English***

Good morning, I have a problem regarding the random use of commas or periods when entering numbers in a smartsheet form.

In the Italian version, in fact, if you use a point instead of a comma, the cell is no longer identified as a number but as a text and in the summary counts it obviously gives an error

I know that it depends on the language in the sense that if I use the Italian language the decimals must be entered with the COMMA ( , ) and not with the period, but it happens more and more often that customers continue to use the period and this causes all the summaries in real time.

I wanted to understand if when composing a form, in the formatting of the "number" format just as it is possible to prevent the use of letters if I select "number only", there was the possibility of forcing the user (at least in the Italian format) to use the comma and not the point for decimals.

Grazie

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't force the user to use commas vs periods in the form directly, but what you can do is insert a helper column on the sheet and use a formula to swap any periods out for commas and convert it into a numerical value.

=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(Spesa@row; "."; ","))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers