Dropdown sorting on forms

I found several forum posts where users are asking if dropdown lists can be sorted alphabetically rather than the way the data is listed during design time. I'm having the complete opposite issue. My dropdown lists are being sorted alphabetically although I want them to be populated in the order that the data was added during design. Our plan does not include any premium addons.

I don't think I had this issue earlier in the year, although I searched through Smartsheet release notes and didn't find anything to suggest they implemented sorting. Is anyone aware of a trick that would allow me to display the list in the order that I want?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/22/23 Answer ✓

@Advil,

Strange. It doesn't sort them in alphabetical order for the Form when using the standard Dropdown list. Instead it displays them in the order I entered them in the dropdown list options for the column (shown below). However once I flip my column type to Contact List with those dropdown values present, then the Form sorts the options alphabetically. If you don't want people to be able to enter options that aren't listed (like to search the address book or enter emails manually), then try converting your column type to a standard Dropdown list instead. If you do require other options like from the address book or manual entries, I believe your stuck with the alphabetized order in the Form's view.

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/22/23 Answer ✓

@Advil,

Strange. It doesn't sort them in alphabetical order for the Form when using the standard Dropdown list. Instead it displays them in the order I entered them in the dropdown list options for the column (shown below). However once I flip my column type to Contact List with those dropdown values present, then the Form sorts the options alphabetically. If you don't want people to be able to enter options that aren't listed (like to search the address book or enter emails manually), then try converting your column type to a standard Dropdown list instead. If you do require other options like from the address book or manual entries, I believe your stuck with the alphabetized order in the Form's view.

• Advil
    Advil ✭✭

Thank you @Ray Lindstrom, I really appreciate your suggestion. I played around with your idea because I hadn't previously considered the option of using the drop down field type. It won't work in my specific case because I have some automation in place to send emails to the selected contact, and that doesn't appear to work while using the drop down field type. Your reply also helped me understand some of the old forum posts I was reading where people wanted an alphabetical sort - they weren't using the contact list field type.

I marked my question as answered because you did confirm things for me. Thank you again and happy holidays :)