Dynamic View is Empty

I have a dynamic view pulling from a Sheet. I have a formula on my Contacts column to only populate the rows that a person was approved to work. Will this affect how my Contact is used for Dynamic view? Because I set it up like normal and nothing is displaying for me.

Sheet

Dynamic View Settings. Pulling from correct sheet, restrict to contacts, no filters

My View - Nothing shows

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @AnemonePoppy

Thank you for posting the formula! I see that this is a JOIN(COLLECT formula, which will join multiple contacts together if there are multiple that meet your criteria. This is likely why the Dynamic View is unable to recognize the contacts, as this type of formula can output the emails as text, not contacts.

If you'll only ever have one matching criteria, you'll want to use an INDEX(COLLECT instead, so that there's no comma at the end and it always returns one value.

Try:

=INDEX(COLLECT({4th Year Sub-Interns Approved Calendar Range 4}, {4th Year Sub-Interns Approved Calendar Range 1}, Date@row > @cell, {4th Year Sub-Interns Approved Calendar Range 1}, Date@row <= @cell), 1)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you listed in the Contact column on any row in the source data?

• I am, I put my email in the sheet and in my snapshot it is displaying my email and image so it looks like it is working just fine to recognize Contacts.

When I change the Dynamic viewer back to no Restrict View filter all the rows appear just fine. So it is pulling from the sheet just fine, I just can't get contacts to work.

• Hey @AnemonePoppy

How are you getting the email in to the Contact column, and can you verify that the column is indeed a Contact type of column? I believe it is because of the hover data I can see in your first image, however normally when emails are seen as contacts there's a circle next to the text:

• The email is coming from the source sheet automation to this sheet. When a user is added to the source sheet (master calendar) also add them to this sheet (on call to work) so my users can login to select times they want to work extra shifts.

The column on the source sheet and this On call sheet both have emails as Contact columns, with the exception of this column having a formula to only populate their email on the date ranges they specified they wanted to work. EX: Source sheet they selected to work anydate from Feb 1-feb 28th, On call sheet emails them to select specific dates to pick up shifts.

Source sheet

Contacts displayed properly

On call Sheet

Can see the Contacts are not displaying their image on the list, perhaps due to the formula? but hovering shows their image so it lets me know they are contacts?

Here is someone added not me and not using an organization email. Populated correctly with the formula to the dates and showing an image when hovering.

Formula on On call Contact

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @AnemonePoppy

Thank you for posting the formula! I see that this is a JOIN(COLLECT formula, which will join multiple contacts together if there are multiple that meet your criteria. This is likely why the Dynamic View is unable to recognize the contacts, as this type of formula can output the emails as text, not contacts.

If you'll only ever have one matching criteria, you'll want to use an INDEX(COLLECT instead, so that there's no comma at the end and it always returns one value.

Try:

=INDEX(COLLECT({4th Year Sub-Interns Approved Calendar Range 4}, {4th Year Sub-Interns Approved Calendar Range 1}, Date@row > @cell, {4th Year Sub-Interns Approved Calendar Range 1}, Date@row <= @cell), 1)

Cheers,

Genevieve