Dynamic View Capability to share the sheet based on dropdown in a coulmn

Mounika
Mounika ✭✭✭
edited 02/19/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi all,

I have a project overview sheet, which hold information about various subspecialty projects, and I would like to share this sheet with respective subspecialty team members based on their area. I have a column in the source sheet with dropdown (containing various subspecialties/areas), and I am wandering if there is a possibility to share the sheet based on the dropdown selection from that field. Because I want to share this sheet based on the subspecialty column.

If that us multiselect dropdown, I would like to know if that can be shared with both/more of the respective area members? Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mounika

Best Answer

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mounika,

That's great to hear and you're on the right track. May I confirm that the source sheet is not a grid sheet, but a report instead? If it's a filter issue on the gird sheet, that'll break the view like what you've experienced, but if your source is from a report, the filter will be static and will be independent of any filter changes applied in your grid sheet.

Instead of creating a filter for each subspecialty in one report, you want to create a unique report for each subspecialty, then create a dynamic view using those reports as your source. For example:

1. Source sheet -> create Report with Subspeciality A filter -> create View for Subspecialty A
    2. Source sheet -> create Report with Subspecialty B filter -> create View for Subspecialty B
    3. Source sheet -> create Report with Subspecialty C filter -> create View for Subspecialty C

Once you created each report with the applied filter, I would advise not to turn the filter off in the report. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Ric

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mounika,

If I'm understanding this correctly, you have a column within your source sheet with a dropdown of subspecialities you want to create a View for. One approach on Dynamic View is to first create a report with a filter applied to each of your subspecialties area, then create a View for each of your report (with the filter applied).

If you have WorkApps, an alternative approach is to create different views similar as above and share sheets/dashboards to the different viewers (screenshot attached from Smartsheet's Mobilzer Program).

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,

Ric

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Ric T

I've tried creating filter for each subspecialty and after creating the dynamic view, I've noticed that if the filter was off in source sheet or changed to other subspecialty, the dynamic view created was broken, by showing all the information in the source sheet (including all subspecialities).

I want to use the source as a master sheet, which holds all the information and wanted to create dynamic view for each subspecialty to let them have to their own subspecialty data only.

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mounika,

That's great to hear and you're on the right track. May I confirm that the source sheet is not a grid sheet, but a report instead? If it's a filter issue on the gird sheet, that'll break the view like what you've experienced, but if your source is from a report, the filter will be static and will be independent of any filter changes applied in your grid sheet.

Instead of creating a filter for each subspecialty in one report, you want to create a unique report for each subspecialty, then create a dynamic view using those reports as your source. For example:

1. Source sheet -> create Report with Subspeciality A filter -> create View for Subspecialty A
    2. Source sheet -> create Report with Subspecialty B filter -> create View for Subspecialty B
    3. Source sheet -> create Report with Subspecialty C filter -> create View for Subspecialty C

Once you created each report with the applied filter, I would advise not to turn the filter off in the report. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Ric

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Ric T

Thank you so much, it worked!

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great to hear!!