February Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Options

Comments

• tturner33
    Options

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a wildlife biologist. Study animals in their natural environments. However, my high school guidance counselor had different ideas and pointed me towards a radio/television career. I quit college after a year; got married and had kids. Dabbled in computers on the side while I worked in the grocery store industry for 10+ years. At age 30, I went back to school and got my Bachelors in Information Science; started my career in IT and 30 years later I'm still in the IT game.

Still wonder what would have happened if I pursued the wildlife biology path...

• Alison Clancy
    Alison Clancy Employee Admin
    Options

I wanted to be Janet Jackson's backup dancer, and still do! 🔑

• cvarela
    cvarela ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a kid, I wanted to teach. I spent hours helping teachers instead of playing on the playground.

Today I run the governance and IT infrastructure projects for our Supply Chain PMO.

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I was a kid, I dreamed of becoming a money market manager on Wall Street. However, now I invest in my free time and work as a senior project manager at a law firm.

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a lot of things...fantasy magical warrior, guidance counselor, musician, poet, teacher, and so so much more!

Right now, I develop and maintain project management systems for a Solar Construction company. I get to exercise some of the creative and strategic elements I yearned for at a young age, and hope to keep expressing myself through my music and poetry as I get more settled into the new town I've moved to!

Selfish plug for a spoken word piece I wrote and published a few years back when I was still doing shows...https://open.spotify.com/track/1T9NAERSz8keEqIxwbnUBL?si=23ff23ea741948fc

• Galexa0711
    Galexa0711 ✭✭✭
    Options

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a fighter jet pilot, going Mach 1. That didn't work out so well, since at the time I was old enough to join the military, none of them allowed female fighter jet pilots. I went through a few fields before settling in as an analyst but I love it.

Gina Alexander

Business Analyst Consultant, Client Delivery Assurance | Optum Insight Provider Market

gina.alexander1@optum360.com

• edapel
    edapel ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I was younger, we had a family friend who owned a funeral home. After hanging out there for a while I wanted to become a medical examiner or a coroner. Once I got into high school, I became friends with someone whose father worked for IBM. Well, then I went into IT, and I've been here ever since.

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it💡Insightfulor❤️Awesome!

Hope you have a great day!!

Ed

• BarbaraHanville
    Options

When I was a kid I wanted to be an artist and a singer. When I was ready to go to college, my Dad encouraged me to get a degree that would allow me to support myself (there are a lot of starving artists and singers). He said I could take all the art classes I wanted to (which I did). I ended up getting a degree in Information Systems after working with computers at a summer job, and finding that I enjoyed the problem solving and enjoyed learning to code. My first job was working for EDS as a Systems Engineer, designing and implementing software. Many years later I've moved into Operations, creating processes for growing companies (still problem solving!)

• Maxwell Griffith
    Maxwell Griffith Employee Admin
    Options

I genuinely wanted to be a professional soccer player. Somewhere internationally too (Italy or Spain?).

I am now a Digital Marketer at Smartsheet!

• K Miller
    K Miller ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Growing up, I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian. I love animals and figured my passion to help others would make me a wonderful vet. That became a distant dream when we had to prick our finger in 9th grade to determine our blood type. I couldn't prick my own finger and when someone else did it for me, I passed out and hit my head on the table on my way down to the floor. Embarrassing to say the least, but made me realize becoming a veterinarian was most likely not in the cards for me.

My career has taken me from finance to IT and now to Operations. I am an accomplished Project Manager and certified Scrum Master working for an amazing company. As a Project Manger, I get to help people take an idea and make it become reality. I am also the Product Owner of Smartsheet at my company, helping others learn all of the wonderful things Smartsheet can do. :-)

• Ashley Ferguson
    Options

I wanted to be a nurse, but soon found out that some bodily things grossed me out. Then I moved on to fashion designer. Eventually, I fell into studying marketing and management, fell in love with technology. Now, I'm the IS Project Manager for the largest health system in Southeast Georgia.

Ashley Ferguson, PMP

IS Project Manager | St. Joseph’s/Candler

http://linkedin.com/in/ashley-ferguson-399396a

• RebSchr
    RebSchr ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a lawyer. I even spent time at the court house sitting in on cases and even got a job working in the circuit clerk's office. It was a real eye opener on how the criminal justice system really worked as well as how politics worked.

I decided to go back to school for something that I really enjoyed. I went to school for Electronics Engineering. Once I graduated school, it was a struggle because I was a female and was told I wouldn't be able to perform the same job as others.

Long story short, I ended up in the IT field, then Food Operations which led to Project Management and lastly, Healthcare IT.

• Jerry Melichar
    Options

I enjoyed performing arts and music and being creative when I was young.

I hated math! Platforms like Smartsheet allow me to feel very creative as I solve complicated math and organizational problems.

• Lindsay Scarey
    Options

When I was a child I wanted to be an artist. I didn't really have a more specific idea than that - I just liked the idea of being creative all day and getting to do that for my job. In my career I went from copy editing to administrative work, to being an Executive Assistant, and now I am a Program Manager at a non-profit. It's not what I envisioned growing up, but there is room for me to engage creatively with my work, and I get to make art that people enjoy outside of work - so I actually did become an artist it just doesn't pay the bills.

This discussion has been closed.