how do i update the 'action tracker' status column from the action tracker updater sheet

Options
zow
zow
edited 02/02/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I want to make a system where not everyone can see my action tracker sheet. What can I do to ensure that the status column can be updated to whosoever the action has been assigned to without them having to see the full sheet

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From the way you're asking the question, I'm assuming you want them to have 0% access to the sheet (could you build a report and just share the report to them?). So the simplest version would be to set up an update request automation, if you have a locked column on the sheet, the field could show up in the request as read only, unlocked fields would be editable. So you could say every time I check this box, or every X days or whatever send out an update request.

If you wanted to go another level into craziness, you could set up a second sheet with only data they would need to see/change, and build cross sheet formulas (INDEX/MATCH) to feed data to the other sheet, then another cross sheet formula back to your sheet pulling in the status data that you need. Kind of a brute way to build a really ugly 'report' 😁

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• zow
    Options

sorry for the late response, I was able to solve the problem shortly after your question was a pointer to what I needed to check.

Thank you