WORKAPP VS. JUST A DASHBOARD

Options
David Cromer
David Cromer ✭✭
edited 04/09/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a Use Case where I'm deciding whether to use a just a Dashboard with Several Dynamic Views vs. setting it all up through a WorkApp. I have not used WorkApps yet, so am wanting to understand any advantages or features with using it.

Use Case: Streamline our Single-Order process with a Key customer. [ They desired a Portal to access a list of Goods with all the normal basics, 1 item per Row: Item #, Model, Description, Picture, Price, a way to select an item from the list (catalog), and send it in for a quote automatically all in one spot. Orders are placed through another system. Then a tracking report is viewable for their orders placed. I've accomlished the workings of this using Sheets/Reports and a few Dynamic views, all housed on a Dashboard where the Permissions are set appropriately for the outside stakeholders to be able to view, edit but not access anywhere else or the wrong data--- this is all set ].

I started the beginnings of setting up a WorkApp for this and realized I don't know what advantages or disadavantages this gives us, or the outside stakeholder.

Here are 2 screenshots of the Dashboard we've set up and are about to Launch with the Customer. It uses 2 Dynamic Views (one of which allows the user to submit a request for follow up information (a Quote Request)), and one viewing Report from a Tracking Sheet for viewing previously placed what we call "Reorders". They like the Dynamic view for this due to the ability to Filter by a Location.

• Should I convert this system to a WorkApp, and why?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dave

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 04/17/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @David Cromer

Here's a free webinar on Workapps if that helps!

I personally have one Workapp that is a go-to place to review assets for a specific project:

• It has a main rollup Dashboard with metrics as the top-level landing page.
    • A project schedule sheet
    • A written document "how-to" guide
    • A Slide Deck with the project research
    • And a Form to fill out with questions/concerns

The Dashboard and sheet are in different Workspaces, but having them present in the Workapp means I can keep my links in one place. I think of it as a sort of "bookmarks" folder, but where I can easily jump to each asset in and work on them in the same browser tab.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    edited 04/17/24
    Options

Hey @David Cromer

What have you decided to do in the end? Both are viable solutions for your use-case!

If you only have 2 Dynamic Views, then I would perhaps suggest just sticking with a Dashboard for now. It looks like you can show all your assets in one view, which is great.

Workapps are incredibly helpful when you have a number of other assets you want your collaborators to reference as well - separate, individual processes but all under the same umbrella... or if you have pages that are non-Smartsheet items (such as a Google Doc with written instructions or information).

There's no wrong answer here 🙂 I'm certain you could make both work!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• David Cromer
    Options

@Genevieve P. thank you for the follow up. I decided to roll this out with the Dashboard and 2 Dynamic Views. I still haven't seen WorkApps in real action to get a feel for how they work, and such. I digested your point about using WorkApps with other assets besides Smartsheet assets. I'll have to take a harder look at WorkApps as I'm still tentative about them.

If you have any WorkApp examples I may have missed in the Smartsheet help or reference areas, please send me some info. Appreciate you!

Dave

• Genevieve P.
    edited 04/17/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @David Cromer

Here's a free webinar on Workapps if that helps!

I personally have one Workapp that is a go-to place to review assets for a specific project:

• It has a main rollup Dashboard with metrics as the top-level landing page.
    • A project schedule sheet
    • A written document "how-to" guide
    • A Slide Deck with the project research
    • And a Form to fill out with questions/concerns

The Dashboard and sheet are in different Workspaces, but having them present in the Workapp means I can keep my links in one place. I think of it as a sort of "bookmarks" folder, but where I can easily jump to each asset in and work on them in the same browser tab.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• David Cromer
    Options

This looks great. I'll review it in detail. Thank you again!

Dave