Automation - one workflow moves row before 2nd workflow can trigger

Options

I'm new to smartsheet (having a blast!), and could use help adjusting my workflow automation to accommodate timing of certain actions near the completion of a task (row).

Simplified scenario: Each row on a sheet represents activity that needs to occur to "new product samples" (one product per row); and when ALL activity for that particular product sample(s) is marked "completed" by a User, automation then moves the row to an Archive sheet. Easy, done! This works always, no problem.

Meanwhile, prior to that action, there is also a checkmark column for "internal samples dispersed" on that sheet; when that gets checked, automation alerts an internal team that their sample(s) are on their desks.

That alert automation works GREAT when "internal samples dispersed" occurs earlier than the "completion" of the entire task/row. But internal samples can happen earlier, OR at the very end. And if it happens at the end, I think my row-move automation occurs first, so the trigger to send alert is missed.

I thought I could change my "move row" automation to occur just 'daily', but automation said I couldn't use a schedule for that workflow, had to use "when triggered".

Sorry if this is such a newbie question. thanks!

Best Answer

• ShaRobinson
    Answer ✓
    Options

Alas, I was wrong with my solution from 4/19 above. Problem was that I didn't understand the concept of "trigger" functionality. The trigger moment would have already passed, and I'd have to run it manually to work.

But good news! I stumbled across a solution that really works.

1st: need automation to alert user when a condition exists, and that has to trigger BEFORE the row moves to another sheet.

2nd: So I need to delay the "row move" automation. The info about this automation set up below ("when a date is reached") isn't super clear, so I tried it, assuming it would run at 8PM (since I chose 8 PM). It did indeed run at 8 PM, and it worked.

I'm not sure why only two radio button options showed up when I chose "when a date is reached": one option is an actual date, but I chose the 2nd option: "Date Field" for column "Date Closed". (I couldn't select any other field or column, and my data in that field isn't even a date!)

Then I selected other pertinent conditions (not shown in this image). The key here is that I had other conditions, but look at the set-up for the trigger. Hope this helps somebody!

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would create a checkbox field that gets checked (via formula) when all of the conditions are met. This will likely be an AND statement, like

IF(AND(Item1=TRUE,Item2=TURE,Item3=TRUE,[internal samples dispersed]=TRUE),TRUE,FALSE)

Because of the way Smartsheet recognizes field changes, you might need to add a trick to get the Move automation to trigger. This can be accomplished by creating a field, I literally call it TODAY, and creating an automation to write today's date to the field. Whenever that automation runs, it will trigger a row update, and Smartsheet will notice that your "Ready" field equals TRUE and it will move your record.

• ShaRobinson
    Options

Thanks James.

I neglected one little detail. In about 5% of instances, "internal samples ..." are not required, so the box intentionally doesn't get checked -- but the row can still be accurately marked complete.

I really DO LOVE that checkbox there, but I could change to a dropdown instead of "[blank -- from intake initiation], "YES", or "N/A" -- then use your same formula but change condition of [internal samples dispersed] to an OR for "YES", "N/A"?

If you think that would work, could you please show syntax for that OR situation for that column? (Sadly, it will take me at least 4 hours to figure it out..) : )

• ShaRobinson
    Options

I solved my dilemma an alternate way, which was super easy -- but wouldn't work for many other situations I'm sure.

Recap of dilemma: Email alert automation wasn't occurring if the flag for that (non-mandatory pre-cursor OR contemporaneous) action was activated at the same time that other automation was moving the row to an archive sheet.

Moving the row was never a problem, but the missing alert about the other activity was getting missed sometimes.

Easy solution: I changed the Move Row automation to = a day that is "not today". It just means that my row doesn't move to Archive until the next day.

(hope that helps another user!)

• ShaRobinson
    Answer ✓
    Options

Alas, I was wrong with my solution from 4/19 above. Problem was that I didn't understand the concept of "trigger" functionality. The trigger moment would have already passed, and I'd have to run it manually to work.

But good news! I stumbled across a solution that really works.

1st: need automation to alert user when a condition exists, and that has to trigger BEFORE the row moves to another sheet.

2nd: So I need to delay the "row move" automation. The info about this automation set up below ("when a date is reached") isn't super clear, so I tried it, assuming it would run at 8PM (since I chose 8 PM). It did indeed run at 8 PM, and it worked.

I'm not sure why only two radio button options showed up when I chose "when a date is reached": one option is an actual date, but I chose the 2nd option: "Date Field" for column "Date Closed". (I couldn't select any other field or column, and my data in that field isn't even a date!)

Then I selected other pertinent conditions (not shown in this image). The key here is that I had other conditions, but look at the set-up for the trigger. Hope this helps somebody!