NEW! Timeline view

Options
elektra_h
elektra_h Employee
edited 05/16/24 in Product Announcements

Hi Community, 

The all-new timeline view is here! It lets you seamlessly arrange work on a horizontal timeline and group tasks to easily track project progress, collaborate in real-time, and communicate statuses with stakeholders. 

• Create and share project roadmaps for easier cross-team collaboration 
  • Manage large portfolios while also reviewing tasks at a granular level
  • Map out advertising campaigns, event logistics, marketing material development, and more

Licensed users on business plans and above can create and share in timeline view. Timeline view can be accessed in any sheet (with at least two date columns) from the existing layout switcher.

Our journey with timeline is just beginning, and more exciting capabilities are on the horizon. Today, you can fully take advantage of the benefits of timeline in your sheets. Our next step will empower you to publish timelines seamlessly in your dashboards and integrate timelines into your reports. 

Learn more about timeline view.

You can also stay informed by subscribing to receive product release updates for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements, delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.

Thank you!

Elektra Helde | She/Her | Product Marketing

Comments

• NavyPilot
    NavyPilot ✭✭✭
    Options

Seems like it has nice possibilities but to me, glitchy right now. For example, in one project when I group by assignee and then by status, everything looks fine except for one assignee that does not show the task children like all the others. Just the top summary task.

And I have grouping as:

In another, when I select group, I only see two group fields. The project has:

But I can only group by:

Seems it needs much more work.

• Land606
    Land606 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

This view looks like it has great potential for reporting up to management, especially if it can be added to the row reports so higher level views of multiple projects could be viewed together.

Question: How does one collapse an item with sub-items? There is a carrot on the item and when I roll over, the context message says "This item has sub items in this lane", but clicking on the carrot does not seem to do anything.

Thank you,

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great addition!

Will deliver it's full potential, when it can be used in dashboards!

So, is there an ETA for dashboard use?

Greetings and keep coming the good stuff!

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Ga
    Ga ✭✭
    Options

Great move

Currently it is set with dates only, Can we add time column to the timeline. Let us say 9AM to 11AM task A and then 11:00AM to 1 PM task B. This would really help

• Jamie Bedford
    Options

When will this be available for SmartsheetGov users? I don't see it as an option in my sheets yet. Bummer.

Also, the docs imply that Date columns that use column formulas won't work for this. Is there a plan to enable this in the future? Many of our long-term planning sheets use column formulas to convert from Calendar/Fiscal Year + Quarter to estimated/approximate start/end dates. It'd be great to be able to utilize these formula-based Date columns for Timeline view (as we can for Gantt).