Advanced Reports in Resource Management by Smartsheet now generally available!

Hi Community, 

We are excited to introduce "Advanced Reports," a new feature in Resource Management by Smartsheet. This release brings significant value to organizations utilizing Smartsheet and Resource Management. With "Advanced Reports," organizations can now automate their Resource Management reports—covering Time & Fees, Utilization, Expense, and Budget data—directly into Smartsheet. This seamless integration allows organizations to effortlessly sort and group information, and display key metrics on dashboards, enhancing visibility and decision-making.

This feature is available for customers on a Smartsheet Business or Enterprise plan that have also purchased Resource Management by Smartsheet. Users must also be using Sign in with Smartsheet for Resource Management to gain access.

How to get started:

1. Login to Resource Management
  2. Click “Analytics” in the top navigation
  3. Click “Advanced Report” next to export
  4. Name your report
  5. Pick your destination in Smartsheet

Visit this help article to learn more.

You can also stay informed by Subscribe to receive product release updates for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements for the platform of your choosing, delivered to your inbox. As new releases occur,

Comments

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

This finally closes the gap in functionality for Resource Management! No kidding, this is a fantastic release!

Up to now I've used 4 Bridge workflows, each with Javascript, plus Data Mesh, to piece together this functionality on my own. Now it's click and done. So good, thank you!

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• A colleague and I have tried several times to use this feature. We receive a very non-specific error message. It sometimes creates the Smartsheet assets, but it contains sample data from somewhere. Nothing to do with our company data.

I have confirmed we are using Smartsheet Authentication and have an Enterprise Smartsheet plan. Screenshots of the error are included. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have submitted a support case to RM.

• Adam Lang
    Adam Lang Employee

Thanks for letting us know @mrthornton. I just passed this info to our RM product team. I will do my best to follow up shortly.

• Tony Platts
    Tony Platts ✭✭✭✭

Guy, I'm sorry but I think you need to go back to the drawing board on this one. It's fundamentally broken.

It feels like, instead of automating the existing reports, you've chosen what you think we might want and you've massively overcomplicated it.

I am after a very simple report. Project Name, Incurred Hours. I have 75 open projects so, by my calculation, that's 100 cells.

Pushing that to an advanced report puts every single data point from within Resource Management and then provides this error message.

The data is then all wrong because it's missing rows and rows of information.

Furthermore, the only way to make sense of this is within a Report as opposed to a sheet so I can't run any form of link or lookup on it to pull through to something meaningful.

When I first saw this I was really excited. On a weekly basis we need to copy and paste our billing information from Resource Management into a sheet. This could have been great but, right now, it's a worthless feature because we as users have no control over it. Sorry!

• Brian_Richardson

@Tony Platts you could try adjusting your time grouping (weeks, months) and your time window (this week, this month) etc to trim that down. You could sync multiple reports for different windows to different sheets and then roll them together in a Smartsheet report. It’s a lot of data but that’s actually usually a good thing- for example I need all those custom fields for my own work in Smartsheet. Agree though that it would be nice to have a field selector instead of just everything.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Tony Platts
    Tony Platts ✭✭✭✭

The problem is that I'm simply after a table that lists the project name and the total hours incurred to date. It's building mutliple dashboards and reports etc but there's still no mechanism to simply export a report (similar to the CSV report we get from Resource Management) into a Sheet.

It exports it all and formats it as a report but, I can't pull that data into other sheets because you can't like a sheet to a report. That means I'm still going to need to do everything manually to calculate EAC, EV, TCPI, SPI and CPI etc.

• Brian_Richardson

The report it gives you is pointing at a sheet, which is where the data is. You can do whatever you want with that sheet of data including lookups and automations.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Brian_Richardson

@ product team, I do see an issue though, similar to what Tony is talking about. If I set an Advanced Report up to have Timeframe = This Month and first Grouping be "Month", second grouping "Team Member", the data set is still down to the week. This is a problem when we get 4000 rows for a single month, and I need to have the timeframe be the Quarter or Year.

The Smartsheet report also does not reflect the Advanced Report settings. The Smartsheet report is grouped by project, even though I did not include project as a grouping level.

I would have anticipated two different results from me grouping by Month:

1. The underlying data sheet should be aggregated by month, not by week
    2. The report should start out as grouped by month, not project. (less important as this is editable)

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Tony Platts
    Tony Platts ✭✭✭✭

Brian, you've got more experience with Smartsheet than I have.

Do you see any way of turning that sheet, through automations or lookups into another sheet that shows

• Project 1 - Total Incurred Hours
    • Project 2 - Total Incurred Hours

I'm trying to get to a point where I can automate EV, EAC, SPI, CPI and TCPI but, at the moment, it just means I get the report from Resource Management and copy and paste the data once a week.

• Brian_Richardson

I’d recommend the Pivot app- easy way to do this. If you don’t have that, you can list the projects in the sheet then use a cross-sheet reference formula to add up the hours from your detailed data. Like =SUMIF({Project Name}, Project@row, {Hours}) where the {} are cross-sheet references that you add by clicking Reference Another Sheet when typing out the formula, then browse and find the appropriate column on the detailed sheet.

Put that formula in a column next to the Projext column on your summery sheet, then right click and select Convert to Column Formula. That will apply the formula to every row/every project.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Adam Lang
    Adam Lang Employee

@mrthornton our RM product/engineering team recently deployed a couple fixes. Can you please try and run another Advanced Report and let me know if you are still running into an issue? Thank you and I appreciate your patience.

• I just ran a Time & Fees report, and it completed normally, and the correct Smartsheet Assets were created.

Thank you!

• Adam Lang
    Adam Lang Employee

Great to hear, thanks for the update!!

• Hi @Adam Lang

I need assistance with the scenario. I have an advanced report (Time & Fees) created for a project. Several months later (after 4-5 months), a Change Request (CR) is introduced with a different Purchase Order (PO) to cover remaining tasks. This CR is set up as a separate project in Resource Management (RM).

Is there a way to modify the existing advanced report query to include this CR project, without creating a new advanced report in Smartsheet? The goal is to maintain a holistic view of the overall project.

I attempted to adjust the query/filter in the existing advanced report to include the CR, but after doing so, my source data sheet became blank