Looking to tie two columns together.. see below

Hello,

I have one column that has a list of 'epics' (main categories) in the next column I have a list of all features. I need to somehow group a subset of the features to an 'epic' when the epic is chosen the user will only see the subset of features for that epic. How can I easily do this?

Example provided in attached Word document.

Best Answer

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't make dynamic dropdowns like that in Smartsheet. The closest you can do is build in some logic to a form and have just as many dropdown fields as you do Epics. Then build in the logic that if they choose "BIDM", then show the "BIDM Dropdown" field… etc.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't make dynamic dropdowns like that in Smartsheet. The closest you can do is build in some logic to a form and have just as many dropdown fields as you do Epics. Then build in the logic that if they choose "BIDM", then show the "BIDM Dropdown" field… etc.

• Lara Lehnerz
    Lara Lehnerz ✭✭✭✭

Oh great easier than I thought. Is there a limit to how many logic's I can build under one field in the form?

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never run into any limit, but technically not sure. I just built something recently with an option of 6 choices and about 300 cells to appear or not based on the pick without a problem (it even went a second layer of logic deep pending their response to the second question!).

• Lara Lehnerz
    Lara Lehnerz ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Jason for your assistance.

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭

There used to be a limit but thank you Jason for letting me know there is no limit anymore! I just went back to a form we had a limitation of 30 pieces of logic before from one question, and it now allows me to add more… wonderful news!

If you found this comment useful, please let me know by clicking one of the buttons below: Awesome, Insightful, Upvote, or Accepted Answer. Your feedback will assist others looking for the same information and also help me out.

Thanks!

Nick Stafford

• Lara Lehnerz
    Lara Lehnerz ✭✭✭✭

Just an update: I was able to build out 34 logics to one field and it is working perfectly. Thank you again Jason for your help.