Automation works correctly when manually changed in sheet but not when input through form

Jayy S.
Jayy S. ✭✭✭
edited 08/08/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I created an intake form for a project request. In the form there's a field where the submitter has to select from a dropdown list of Contract Information choices. Here are the automation logic I have:

When I tested it by selecting the different options in the dropdown in the sheet column, this works correctly. However, when we tested it by completing the intake form, it just changed the cell in the Contract Type column into "Collaboration Agreement". Does anyone know why that's happening? If I manually change the "Contract Information" in the sheet afterwards, the automation will then change the "Contract Type" into the correct one.

Someone suggested maybe the automation logic is too complicated in one workflow, and that I should split them up. I could do that for the first 4 logics, but how can I create a workflow for the last one. The last one (Otherwise) needs to be if the submitted selected more than one of the choices that would give the other agreement options, then it'll auto-populate as "Collaboration Agreement".

I tried to do this:

But when I save, it automatically changes to this:

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @Jayy S. !

Based on your description, it sounds like splitting your automation logic into multiple workflows is a good approach, especially if the conditions are complex. Here are a few recommendations to help with your issue:

1. Splitting Workflows: As you mentioned, separating your logic into multiple workflows can help manage complexity. Try to keep no more than two conditions per workflow. For overlapping conditions, Smartsheet evaluates from left to right and runs actions for the leftmost condition path, Smartsheet doesn't run all actions for all parallel paths that don't meet the conditions. This means if paths overlap, only the first matching path will trigger. For more information, check this article on Condition blocks.
    2. Handling Multiple Choices: For scenarios where multiple choices may need to be processed, you might need to create separate workflows to handle each case, ensuring that your conditions don't overlap in ways that cause conflicts.
    3. Pro-Desk Session: If you continue to face challenges, consider scheduling a Pro-Desk session. This can be particularly useful for getting best practices on managing complex workflows. More details can be found in this article about Pro-Desk.

I hope these suggestions help you.

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now