Putting the Pieces Together: Building Systems to Manage Work

Comments

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

@David Dolch
    You can customize drop down selections for columns. Here are a couple I built - fyi;

• KMH Spinner
    KMH Spinner ✭✭✭✭

I agree with others on the icons and accessibility issue. Otherwise no complaints. Thanks!

• I use SmartSheet ALL DAY and use the search function heavily to find information on the multiple sheets I keep open in tabs. Moving it to the left margin and needing to click to open is not helpful! Now I need to take another step to open the search bar EVERY TIME I NEED TO USE IT.

When it was ALWAYS OPEN on the top right of the screen I didn’t need to click to OPEN the search box then enter my search, all I had to do was type in what I was searching for in the box that as already open.

I can’t tell you how many times since this change I have needed to take an extra step in order to search my sheets.  Taking an extra step does not streamline my workflow.

I spend all day in SmartSheet with multiple tabs open and this is a huge inconvenience.

I opened a ticket for this and was told the advantages were improved accessibility (and in your line of site), streamlined workflow and consistency across platforms. I am not sure how putting the search function in a place where it has to be opened to use it makes the function easier and quicker to access.  It is not in your line of site at all.  Now it is hidden and you need to open it.  

This is really disappointing to say the least.  Hiding an option does not make it easier or more streamlined and it is taking me more time to do my tasks, and I had to take time out to express my disappointment on this forum because "Posting your enhancement in the Community will allow other Smartsheet users to see and vote on your idea! The top-voted posts in this category are reviewed monthly by the Product team and you'll receive an email notification if a status changes for a post you've created or voted on."

So please, everyone, vote for changing this back to its former placement at the top right of the screen!

Thank you

• David Dolch
    David Dolch ✭✭✭✭✭

I meant Symbol columns, not drop down. There are differences in the way they work. But you are correct, you can work around it with drop down columns and CHAR codes. It just seems that almost EVERYTHING in SS that I want to do requires work arounds or a bunch of helper columns (or a $20k add on)

• Removing search in the upper right corner is a disaster. You have introduced user friction with this move. Not only do you have to access it at the left now, it also requires a click. Slick isn't always better. Reducing user efficiency is a bad move. Please put it back.

• Samantha S.
    Samantha S. ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the continuous improvements!

• Naina Dave
    Naina Dave ✭✭✭✭

I preferred the previous layout too - this one appears more cluttered and 'noisy'. Can we at least have the option of selecting if we want this new layout or switch to the previous layout. For now, I have changed the tile layout to list, which is better than the new tile layout, but not optimal.

• Davinci
    Davinci ✭✭✭
    edited 08/31/24

I second the issue of the search tool, in contrast with the past version, you need to click the icon to search which is one extra step, then the clear button is in the far right which is mini mouse journey everytime you do a new search. In the previous version the search field was always open. So all you need to do is to keep the search box open and move the clear button to the left.

Otherwise I applaude the home page as it make it easy to find a sheet and most importantly you get to choose to open in new tab.

• Davinci
    Davinci ✭✭✭

While we are excited with the new look, I'd like to give a shout to anyone who is still struggling with sending attachments with automated email. I found a solution but still will appreciate if anyone can let me know if smartsheet has found a fix for this feature or anyone with other alternatives.

• Tim Copeland
    Tim Copeland ✭✭
    edited 09/03/24

Can we please bring back the search bar at the top right of the page so you can quickly search sheets? Hiding it as an icon on the left side causes many extra clicks throughout the day if you use smartsheet all day long across many sheets. Other than that update looks very nice.

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to be positive here, but… I agree with most of the 'Uncomfortable Truth' comments above. I too am an early adopter and usually can't wait for the next instalment of new improvements to what is a great product. PLEASE take these issues on board. There was no indication that UI changes were about to be released, and most aren't so great:

• New side icons are smaller, rounded, and harder to distinguish on a laptop screen – old ones were fine
    • New colours are harsh/cold and different to the colours still used in the actual sheets/reports/dashboards
    • New purple sheet colour is atrocious - too similar to the magenta colour used for forms
    • Home tiles are WAY too big – I can only see the first 4 on my laptop screen
    • Some tiles display previews, others don't – not explanation why
    • Perhaps tiles/list could include our level of sharing permission – Workspace vs Asset, and Admin, or Editor, etc.
    • Why do we have a search bar at the top, when search was moved o the left pane?
    • Can we remove the "Start a New…" tile, as it's too big and we have the 'plus' sign already
    • Please remove the "Learn more tile" or allow us to, as it's useless after about 5 minutes of using the product

There are MANY other more pressing changes that we require as users – please prioritise them. I haven't seen ANY requests for a better interface or home page in ANY of the product ideas posted.

Adrian Mandile
    CHESS Consulting Australia - Smartsheet Solution Provider Gold Partner
    Collaborative | Holistic | Effective | Systems | Solutions

• Jay DeLuca
    Jay DeLuca ✭✭✭
    edited 09/04/24

So I'm mostly indifferent on the layout changes, the icons are different, but fine and the search bar relocation is really no sweat as far as I am concerned. I do however need to piggy back on the point @Adrian Mandile CHESS just made, aren't there more pressing product features and capabilities the team should be focused on implementing and building? This seems mostly cosmetic and fixing something that was not broken…

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jason Tabaczynski

I never look at the home page - it is not remotely helpful to me. I work using the browser folder. I wish Smartsheet would spend time on more important, requested functions (and learn to sort), and less on trying to make something look different. Marketing should take a back seat to function.

• The former search placement on the top right felt intuitive and easy to access. Now, it’s been moved to the left, and I’ve noticed it’s a bit more tucked away, making it less visible and harder to reach quickly when I’m navigating through multiple sheets.

For me, search is one of the most frequently used tools in Smartsheet, especially when managing large projects or collaborating with teams. Having it at the top-right felt like second nature—right where my eyes and cursor naturally went when I needed it.

I’d love to see Smartsheet reconsider this change and move the search back to its original spot. I think this would bring back some ease of use and improve overall efficiency for users like me.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The "Home" tab for me is nothing more than an inconvenience. The "Suggested" options are never what I am actually looking for, and navigating from the "All Workspaces" view is clunky and vey unintuitive.

As someone who is in Smartsheet 60+ hours per week, the Browse tab is where I start all of my navigation. Getting rid of the Browse folder / view would have a very negative impact on productivity for myself and quite a few other users that I know.