Creating Conditions that affect other rows

Hello, I am super new to smart sheets, but have done very well with 99% of what I have needed to accomplish, however… When trying to create a condition labeled "Yes | No," and if Yes is selected in that row, then I want it to highlight another row also in the primary column to red to highlight it being the next step to complete. Once complete, the red highlight should disappear. Does this need to happen using formulas rather than conditions? If so, what would that formula be? Also, can automations achieve this as well? I have never used them and haven't done the research on its functionality.

Best Answer

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Nick,

One idea that I have is that you can create a helper checkbox column named "Should Highlight?". If the checkbox is checked then highlight the row.

You can link this checkbox to be equal to the "Yes | No" column of the previous row.

For example, in row 2, I set "Should Highlights?" value to the same value as row 1's "Yes or No" value.

=[Yes or No]1

Then you can setup your conditional formatting to look at the value in "Should Highlight"

Then you can hide the "Should Highlight?" column so that nobody sees this helper column.

What's cool about this approach is that it's super configurable. For example, if you wanted to highlight 3 rows when the user is on a specific step, you could do that.

Hope this helps!

SSFeatures - The browser extension that adds more features into SmartSheet.

• Automatic sorting, sorting with filters, saving sort settings
    • Spell checking
    • Report PDF generator that supports grouped and summarized reports

Answers

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Nick,

One idea that I have is that you can create a helper checkbox column named "Should Highlight?". If the checkbox is checked then highlight the row.

You can link this checkbox to be equal to the "Yes | No" column of the previous row.

For example, in row 2, I set "Should Highlights?" value to the same value as row 1's "Yes or No" value.

=[Yes or No]1

Then you can setup your conditional formatting to look at the value in "Should Highlight"

Then you can hide the "Should Highlight?" column so that nobody sees this helper column.

What's cool about this approach is that it's super configurable. For example, if you wanted to highlight 3 rows when the user is on a specific step, you could do that.

Hope this helps!

• Spell checking

• This is very helpful and so simple!! Thank you!

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭

You're welcome! Glad it worked

• Spell checking

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!