Date format in automated emails

Caio Araujo
edited 10/03/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi there,

I've set up an automation on a sheet and noticed that the dates in the automated emails are in the incorrect format, despite me setting my regional preference in the settings.

I have the dates set up in my settings for Brazilian format (i.e. DD/MM/YY) and this is how it shows in the Smartsheet itself. However, I have chosen for the date columns to appear in the automated email and these show up as MM/DD/YY.

Is there any way I can change the date format on the automated emails to match my regional preference?

Answers

• kowal
    kowal Overachievers Alumni

hi Caio,

Can you show me the screenshot of such email with wrong date format?

Tomasz Kowalski

The Smartsheet Lover

Is there anything else we can help you with?

MASA Consult - Your Aligned Smartsheet Partner

Find us on LinkedIn!

• Hi Tomasz,

Unfortunately I won't be able to do so due to my company's confidentiality policy, but I can better explain the issue:

The automation is working as designed, the only problem is that on the message body there is a reference to a date field of the sheet that appears on US format (MM/DD/YY) on the emails instead of Brazilian format (DD/MM/YY) even though on the sheet itself the date is on the Brazilian format.

Example: today's date (October 2) on the Brazilian format is 02/10/24, but the automated email would present the date as 10/02/24 which can lead to misinterpretation as it seems to be February 10 on the Brazilian format.

Do you know a way of correcting this?

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a similar problem and it was the regional setting in the person receiving the email.

I was set up for UK (also DD/MM/YY) and the smartsheet was displaying the date correctly.

I included myself on the email being sent out so I could see what was being received and on my cpy it was dd/mm/yy but on a colleagues it was mm/dd/yy - turns out their regional setting were incorrect.

Not within Smartsheet but due to the misunderstandings from the dates when swapped is it 3rd October or 10th of March etc. I now, wherever possible, store my dates as DD-MMM-YYYY 03-OCT-2024 to avoid confusion.

Good luck

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst