Workload tracking in Smartsheet with Parent Rows only

Hey, I'm so lost lol. I want to use the Workload tracking but read a article that allocation only worked with Child rows. My intake form doesn't have allocations. I'm trying to understand how or if this can work on a tracker with only parent rows. I also have automaton when the row is copied from another sheet for the job to begin. In this case, when the row is copied over from the other sheet, the start date is recorded with a automation.

Does anyone have suggestions on creating workload tracking?

Work Smarter, Not Harder

Best Answer

• Georgie
    Georgie Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Shawn_K2,

You can still use allocation with parent rows. The default allocation is not applied to parent rows, but the allocation can still be filled in for parent rows.

From your screenshot, it looks like the rows on your sheet are neither parent or child rows - that is, the rows do not have children and so are not considered parent rows, and they aren’t indented underneath previous rows so aren’t considered child rows. Additionally, if parent rows are copied or moved from one sheet to another, they will be copied or moved along with their child rows. For more about parent and child rows, see this article: Hierarchy: Indent or outdent rows

Workload tracking is available to users on a Business or Enterprise plan, and you must be a Licensed User if your organisation is on the Legacy Collaborator Model, or a Member if your organisation is on the User Subscription Model

Sheet Owners and Admins can enable workload tracking. To do so, the sheet must contain two date type columns and a contact type column. You can then go to the Resource Management (RM) panel to enable workload tracking. If you are seeing a login button in the RM Panel, you must activate Smartsheet Authentication for your Resource Management account in order to use the Workload Tracking features.

For more information about workload tracking, check out this help article: Workload tracking in Smartsheet.

Hope that helps!

Georgie

Answers

• Georgie
    Georgie Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Shawn_K2,

You can still use allocation with parent rows. The default allocation is not applied to parent rows, but the allocation can still be filled in for parent rows.

From your screenshot, it looks like the rows on your sheet are neither parent or child rows - that is, the rows do not have children and so are not considered parent rows, and they aren’t indented underneath previous rows so aren’t considered child rows. Additionally, if parent rows are copied or moved from one sheet to another, they will be copied or moved along with their child rows. For more about parent and child rows, see this article: Hierarchy: Indent or outdent rows

Workload tracking is available to users on a Business or Enterprise plan, and you must be a Licensed User if your organisation is on the Legacy Collaborator Model, or a Member if your organisation is on the User Subscription Model

Sheet Owners and Admins can enable workload tracking. To do so, the sheet must contain two date type columns and a contact type column. You can then go to the Resource Management (RM) panel to enable workload tracking. If you are seeing a login button in the RM Panel, you must activate Smartsheet Authentication for your Resource Management account in order to use the Workload Tracking features.

For more information about workload tracking, check out this help article: Workload tracking in Smartsheet.

Hope that helps!

Georgie