How to set up recurring task schedule for Payroll team?

Hello all! My company's Payroll team is seeking a task management solution to help them track recurring to-do's related to payroll processing. We are on a 24 period pay cycle (15th and last) and there are some tasks that need to happen every cycle, some that happen periodically or annually, as well as one-offs. They'd like to use Smartsheet to manage this work, but I'm having a hard time finding information on how to best create/represent recurring tasks. Recurring task due dates are relative to the pay period itself - e.g., PTO has to be approved three days before payroll is processed. Does anybody have suggestions for how to build a recurring schedule in Smartsheet incorporating relative due dates?

Answers

• kowal
    kowal Overachievers Alumni

Hi Katie,

Setup recurring tasks triggered by dates is one of the core functions in smartsheet.

It seems that you have a lot of tasks to be sent based on many dates so what I would do I would create a Date Column put there a date formula: like =DATE(2024, 10, 10) (in that case it will be 10th october 2024) and make entire column a formula. Based on this date you can set up reminders like 10 days before this date send message 1 or 4 weeks after this date send message 2 etc. etc.

hope it helps.

Tomasz Kowalski

The Real Smartsheet Enthusiast

Is there anything else we can help you with?

MASA Consult - Your Aligned Smartsheet Partner

Find us on LinkedIn!

• Katie White
    Katie White ✭✭✭

Hi, I think there is a disconnect - I'm not asking about notifications. I'm looking for a means to autopopulate the tasks (rows on the sheet) on a recurring basis, so that our teams do not need to recreate the tasks on a monthly/yearly basis. I'm okay if we have to populate our payroll calendar itself, but would want new tasks to be able to be created automatically for the next pay period without having to manually create the tasks each time.