Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Use Today's Date by Default in Web Form

Options
nathanh27821
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I've created a task list which I enter tasks via a web form. I have a Date Entered field in the web form. I would like to make this a hidden field in the web form and by default enter today's date into my task list when I submit the form. 

Comments

• Alison
    Alison Employee
    Options

Hello Nathan,

This is a great question! 

As long as your column is set as a Date Column, you can open up the Form Builder (which is at the bottom of your sheet in the bottom tool bar near the "Sharing" tab) and select into the Default Value field > (and select at the bottom of the calendar that pops up) Today.  I've attached a screen shot to this that may help.

Just above that, you can select "Hidden Field," which allows that to be a field that populates into your sheet without the form user viewing it.

As another option, you can create a System Column by changing the Column type in "Column Properties" to "Created (Date)."  This will automatically show the date that the entry was created at in your form.  More information on System Columns can be found here

Let me know if you have more questions on this!

Alison

Smartsheet Support

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.54.00 AM.png

• This is fine but this default value not changing every day. How do fix it?

• Alison
    Alison Employee
    Options

Hello Nathan,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Would you like the date to update in every field when you open the sheet in every field?  If so, you could use the =TODAY function.  

If not and you'd like the date that each item was submitted to show up in your form, another alternative you could use a System Column to automatically populate the date that each item is submitted.

Please let me know if you have further questions on this.

Kind regards,

Alison

Smartsheet Support

• I am having the same issue.  I thought the Today option for a date field in the form would default to the date the form is being submitted, but it defaults to the date of when I added that field to the form.  I guess if this is not possible, I would rather have it default to blank instead.  No point in it defaulting to a June date in July.

2018-07-20_17-42-49.jpg

This discussion has been closed.