Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives
The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.
Linking from a sheet that's reached the 5000 row limit
I’m relatively new to smartsheets (3 months) but I’m diving right in creating sheets for a medium size construction firm.
My recent project is a daily time reporting sheet for approximately 100 field employees.
My sheet is up and running and is being rolled out to a limited number of supervisors during the “shake out” period.
The structure/data input is as follows:
- Each employee is responsible to enter his or her time daily via a web form.
- Each employee enters, their name, date, job name, 2 different activity’s (area worked & activity preformed) and hours. If they performed more than 1 activity in more than 1 area in each day, they need to submit the web form multiple times. e.g. 4 hours on 1st floor / activity A and 4 hours on 2nd floor / activity B.
- The foreman for each job site will receive an approval request each day to approval subordinates time entry.
- The time sheet is exported to excel once a week and sorted / subtotal and sent to the payroll department.
The time sheet performs several different functions.
- On the left side of the sheet I have a lookup table that is queried by several columns that have lookup formulas. The lookup table/s are normally hidden
- On the right side of the time sheet is a large area that supports sumifs formulas for totaling hours based on “job name”, “area worked” and “activity preformed”.
- All sumifs hours are linked to cells in another sheet that tracks budget hours vs actual hours (time sheet hours).
- The large sumifs area is normally hidden.
So, to my question:
- When I reach the 5000-row limit on my time sheet, which will likely happen every 2 weeks, how do I maintain my web forms, lookup tables section and sumifs section while having a seamless transition. If I delete rows, to make room for more rows, I’ll lose my sumifs linked totals in the budget hours vs. actual hours sheet.
If I do a “save as new” for the time sheet, rename the original to “archive [date range]” and continue using the save as new” sheet I’ll lose my web forms and sumifs links to the budget hours vs. actual hours sheet.
I know increasing the row limit and sumifs between sheets is in the works.
Until then, do I have any options? I’ve attached a screen shot of the time sheet and budget vs actual sheet.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks