Lock Rows in Templates

Options
Sheree
Sheree ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello, I created a template that has some locked rows and cells in it. However, when I share it out the cells become editable? I would like them to be able to use the template but I would like to keep the formulas and some cells locked to prevent accidental deletion. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Make sure your users are set to editors only. If they are admin level on the sheet they will be able to edit the locked rows and sets. Here is more information on locking rows and columns. This article on locking and unlocking rows and columns indicates that the restrictions will carry through to update requests and the likes. Make sure the people editing the columns you don't want are set to an editor role only (not an admin) Anyone designated as a sheet admin can edit locked rows and columns. 

• Sheree
    Sheree ✭✭✭
    edited 01/29/18
    Options

What if they are just a collaborator and not a "user"? I can't see where to set collaborators to a special permissions. 

I would like the template to be available to all collaborators. I want them to be able to use the same template that has locked cells to submit expense reports to me. But I don't want them to change the formulas by accident. Is there a better way to do this? 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/29/18
    Options

Its based on how they are shared on the sheet. Collaborators are given an admin, Editor, or View only treatment to a sheet. If you check the sharing page you can determine how a person is shared on the sheet.

Here's a great article on Sharing Permission Levels on a sheet.

If you click on your sharing tab you can identify how the sharing permissions are set for each individual user and adjust where needed.

• Sheree
    Sheree ✭✭✭
    Options

I can do that on "sheets" but not "templates" that I create. I can only share a template by placing it in a shared workspace. But then when they "use" the template it turns into a sheet and my locked columns become editable. I'll have to research this some more.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the user creates a sheet from your template, then they become the owners of the sheet. It would allow them to edit everything at that point. Does your workflow allow for you to create the sheets for them? And maintain ownership?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, 

One workaround me and my clients use is "Save as new".

Would that work for you?

Please see attached link/screenshot.

https://cl.ly/pAR0

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sheree
    Sheree ✭✭✭
    Options

Aww that makes sense. I'm not familiar with workflows yet but i'll check into that. Thanks for the help!