one task through multiple calendars

IFCC
IFCC
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I'll try to explain what I'd like to accomplish.

My task name has sub-tasks for example "custom","boxcut", "assemble","finish" that populate calendars.

On the calendars they show all of the "custom tasks" for all main jobs.

How would I setup a calendar to show all the sub-tasks for just the selected task. Such as the linear gantt chart but show in calendar form. So I can see the one Main Task over the 3 month period in all sub-tasks.

Hopefully you understood that.

thanks

smrtsht.PNG

Comments

• Schiff A.
    Schiff A. Employee

Hello,

It sounds like what you want to accomplish is to filter your calendar view to show only the tasks that belong to a single parent task.

This can be done by using a checkbox column in conjunction with a filter.

To do this:

1. Create 2 checkbox columns. Label one "Show on Calendar" and the other  "Calendar Subtasks"

2. In the "Calendar Subtasks" column enter the following formula in every cell: =IF(PARENT([Show on Calendar]@row) = 1, 1, 0)

Now, when you check a box in the "Show on Calendar" column that corresponds to a parent task, it will check all of the boxes in the "Calendar Subtasks" column for all of its sub-tasks.

Once you have checked to make sure the boxes are being checked appropriately, you can hide the "Calendar Subtasks" column.

3. Create a filter that shows rows where "Calendar Subtasks" is checked: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/504659-using-filters-to-show-or-hide-sheet-data

To use this filter, check the "Show on Calendar" box for the parent task you want to see.  When you switch to Calendar view, only that parent's subtasks will be displayed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Schiff

Smartsheet Support

• Wow, that is awesome. I've been wanting to do this for so long. It is incredibly helpful to me. Works great.

Thanks so much

Mike

• One further thing I noticed would be helpful. I have the task name showing up but wonder if it's possible to combine the Assigned to column with it, just for the new calendar sub-tasks filter?

I can format it in colors but I'm partially color-blind so colors really aren't something I use much.

thanks

Mike

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/22/18

Hi Mike,

You could add a new column that combines the information.

Please see attached link/screenshot.

https://cl.ly/pisz

Would that work for you?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• IFCC
    IFCC
    edited 02/22/18

Yes that would work very nicely.

Pardon my inexperience. How do I edit the filter to show the new 'Combined' row data instead of the Task name?

I can do it in the Gantt chart but can't figure it out for the calendar view.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to tell you that the combined information needs to be in the Primary Column because it's shown in the calendar view.

Will that work for you?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I might have to fiddle with it a bit to see.

I use the primary column info for other calendars.

thanks

Mike