Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Weeks/Days Remaining Formula

Options
Brad Zdenek
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

How can I create a column that displays "x Weeks and x Days remaining" until a task's start date? I know about RYG Balls and what I can do with conditional formatting, but those just aren't sufficient for my needs.

In Excel/Sheets I use the MOD function to do this using the following formula:

=IF(([Start Date]-TODAY())>0,(INT(([Start Date]-TODAY())/7)&" weeks"&IF(MOD([Start Date]-TODAY(),7)=0,"",", "&MOD([Start Date]-TODAY(),7)&" days")),"")

but MOD does not seem to be supported in SmartSheet.

Any ideas?

Comments

• John Sauber
    John Sauber ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We use a version of the following formula to display the number of weeks and days to a task's start date (perhaps obviously, our column name is [Start On]) is:

=INT(([Start On]1 - TODAY()) / 7) + "w, " + (([Start On]1 - TODAY()) - (7 * (INT(([Start On]1 - TODAY()) / 7))) + "d")

You'll have to handle things which are overdue, or if you want to consider business weeks vs. calendar weeks, but you get the idea, I'm sure. Also, if you save the sheet, close it, and do not open it until it is a new day, you'll immediately have an available "save" button, because it's a new day (today() in the formula gets re-evaluated and changes the result of the formula). Unless you save it, this is always going to happen. It's not a big deal, but you might wonder why every morning you open the sheet up, and then close it without making changes, you're prompted to save your changes.

• Brad Zdenek
    Options

That is perfect. Thank you very much.

• Ebony Griffiths
    Options

John, have you calculated the weeks remaining if the date in the future pans over calendar years?

This discussion has been closed.