Column Filter

robxk
robxk
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all

I am not sure if I am missing something with the way filters work in Smartsheet but is it right that I cannot add a filter to each column which automatically updates the list of inputs from the data in the cells below it? 

Basically I want what Excel does when you highlight the titles of a column and hit the filter button, it seems I have to create filters individually. 

For example we have a master project sheet which has a columns (amongst others)

Project manager

Project Type

Project Status

Supplier

We are adding PMs and Project types all the time, each time I need to edit the filter, is that right? 

For example id like to select 

PM - Chris

Type - Build

Supplier - builder 3

But I don't want to build 50 different filters to give me this option..!

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Rob

Comments

• ricki
    ricki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Basically that is correct. You dont have to build fifty filters. You can just create a filter and not name it and then edit that unanmed filter as your needs for that filter change

• Ricki

I get that, but its such a poor solution to the problem as you need to edit the blank filter each time, also you have to set it up with options ticked. 

It should be like Excel filtering which is simple, Smartsheets just over complicates what has always been a simple option to add a filter. from a simple single column filter there is absolutely no benefit to way the way Smartsheets deals with it vs Excel. 

• ricki
    ricki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have never thought of Smartsheet as an excel replacement. I have always viewed it as a different tool which is meant for different purposes and has different strengths. I use both Smartsheet and Excel every day depending on what i am trying to accomplish. I guess thats why this difference hasnt really bothered me all that much.

• Cristina_s
    Cristina_s ✭✭
    edited 11/06/19

Hello everyone,

I have the same issue as the original reporter, robxk. I am wondering if there have been any updates to the filter functionality because I too am looking for something similar to Excel, without using Excel. If I have all my project info here why would I have to use Excel because Smartsheet is missing such basic functionality?

Thank you!