If statement paired with a Smartsheet Symbol

Mikecol
Mikecol ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

Is there a way to pair one of the smartsheet symbols to the "value_if_true" statement in the IF equation?

My thought process is that when a field is entered as "yes" in smartsheets, then I can have a status column next to it turn green, yellow, etc..

If there is another way to do this in the grid format without having an equation then that would be fantastic as well

if.jpg

symbols.jpg

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to accomplish this would be an IF statement. 

=IF([Answer Column]@row = "Yes", "Green", IF([Answer Column]@row = "Maybe", "Yellow", IF([Answer Column]@row = "No", "Red", "Gray")))

Of course you would update the column name and adjust the criteria to whatever you want, but above is the basic layout of what you would need.

• Mikecol
    Mikecol ✭✭

Perfect, thanks Paul.  I didn't realize that the "Green" text converts to a symbol in Smartsheet

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/30/18

Yes. To find out the actual text reference for a symbol within a formula, simply select which type of symbol column you would like to use. Then you can use the dropdown arrow to make your selection, and next to the symbol will be the text reference to use. It is case sensitive, and it must be "wrapped in quotes". With the exception of the red flag and the single star. They are referenced the same way as a checkbox. 1 = checked/flagged/starred, 0 = not.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is totally doable. 

In a new symbol column add: 

=If([Name of Yes Column]23 = "Yes", "Red", "Green")

This example would be placed in the new column (row 23) or updated for whatever row you are checking. It will put a red light in the row if the yes column contains yes. and green otherwise. 

If you wanted to create a nested statement that for multiple responses... then it would look something like this. 

=If([Name of Yes Column]23 = "Yes", "Red", If([Name of Yes Column]23 = "Maybe", "Yellow", IF([Name of Yes Column]23 = "No", "Green", "Gray")))

Just as an example. 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Touche! I guess we're even now! wink I had opened it, got busy and forgot to check to see if it was answered. haha.