Searching within a large dropdown list

rquadri57321
edited 03/29/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello, 

I currently have an expense report for our company credit cards. On the expense report I have a drop down that lists all of the account numbers so that each line item can be posted to the correct account. There are hundreds of accounts and I would like to know if there is a way to broaden the search within the drop down. I know that if you begin to type the name of the account it will pop up but if you do not have the specific name and the first few letters of the account name it will not show any value. For example, Travel - Airfare. If you begin to type Travel, the account pops up but if someone just types in Airfare the account will not show. Is there a way for Smartsheet to search all words and numbers in the drop down list, not just the beginning of each option. This will help with newcomers searching for accounts and will eliminate wasted time spent on searching for account numbers.

Thank you

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is currently not a way to search within a dropdown. 

You could however, open the column details as if you were going to add a new value, copy all of the values, paste them either elsewhere on a sheet or on a different "reference" or "lookup" sheet. You could then search there to find the exact name/number for the correct account and from there, start typing in (or even copy/paste) the value into the cell you want to record it in.

If you are always using the same accounts for the same line items entered in a standard format, you could build a table and use an INDEX/MATCH or VLOOKUP function to automatically populate the account number based off of the text in the line item.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Here is a workaround that gives you the possibility to use lists of information and choose from that list inside a sheet (doesn't work with mobile, only desktop)

It's also possible to search in the linked sheet to find the account number.

I'm utilizing cell-linking for this workaround. The main sheet is linked to the dropdown/list sheet.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

Example of dropdown/list

I hope this can be helpful for you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• EFG16
    EFG16 ✭✭

Hello-

I see that this was answered in 2018; has this been resolved or added as an option?