Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Row Sharing

Comments

• I fully agree with you Nick! 

• Creating additional sheets etc defeats the purpose of using SmartSheet for me. Being able to share only rows instead of entire sheets would be HUGE. It seems logical to me that you would have collaborators that you only wanted to have see the part of the sheet with which they are associated. 

• RySols
    RySols ✭✭

I too am also hoping to see this feature implemented soon. Individual/specific row sharing would be a great feature to add especially when working in large organizations. Having to use multiple sheets to accomplish this defeats the purpose of this software. Especially since there is a cap on the amount of sheets available to an account.

• I am also interested in seeing row sharing.  Any updates on when this functionality will be put into place. This is a major issue for us too.

Creating additional sheets etc defeats the purpose of using SmartSheet for me. Being able to share only rows instead of entire sheets is a mast.

• Z.Win
    Z.Win ✭✭✭✭

Has there been any update on this issue?  Seems like this request has been in the pipes for a while.  This would be a really useful addition.

I saw in another tread that the ability to assign multiple people to a row will be coming later this year.   Row sharing could easily be enabled as an option in the sheet.  basically add a sharing option where we can designate a contact column on the sheet and anyone in that contact column will automatically be shared those rows.

• He there! +1 for this feature!

SS team  > Do you have any news?

• Matt J
    Matt J ✭✭

We are also looking for the ability to only share certain rows of a sheet with outside the company persons while keeping all rows of the sheet viewable by all internal to the company.

I have read through this feed and it is clear that others are in need of this feature and I am confident that by implementing this smartsheet will open up a significant market opportunity that they are not currently capturing.

Can the smartsheet team get us an update on the progress with this feature?

• Three years and STILL no answer? This seems like a feature that people want and need - why no answers SS?

• Hi, I am becoming more and more frustrated with smart sheet. I, also am very keen to be able to share a row, basically I have sheet with about 500 rows, and each row represents a unique job request for my team...I am very keen to be able to share each row with the person who requested the job...their email is included in the row...unfortunately EVERY WORK AROUND HAS HIT A DEAD END,

One example I tried creating a report which could be shared with one group of people who had submitted job requests, I tested that I could update cells in either the report or the master sheet it all looked good, but then I realised that to be able to edit the report the person had to also be shared in the master sheet! There is confidential information in the master sheet that cannot be shared across some of the other people who have submitted the job requests. So unless I can restrict the rows that I share with the form users the report builder is not an option. 

I considered cell linking, however a cell link appears as though it can only go in one direction...therefore this did not work either as I want to be able to exchange information with the person who submitted the job request, so cell linking also is not an option.

I tried using requests, but this meant that the user could not view the row, there had to be a trigger for the request and once the received the request they could only respond once to the request....

I am getting quite desperate, and very frustrated that every work around I have tried, I have not been able to get to work, this is made even more frustrating, when I look at the number of years, and number of people on this community that have been requesting this feature...if it is not possible please tell me now, if it is possible please let me know if it is going to be implemented and when.

Kind regards

Andrew

• Gregory Vn
    edited 05/22/18

@Smartsheets team.  It has been 3 years since original post.  Can you provide an update?  Will this feature be implemented?  Is it possible to have it implemented?

This feature is critical in determining whether smartsheets will or will not work for us.

• Me too! this would be great. 

• This is a tool that would also benefit me on a current project that I would like to utilize smartsheet.  Any updates on the ability to row share?

• +1 for this feature. I work as a consultant advising a range of companies when choosing project management software. I love Smartsheet, but this important missing feature is holding it back.

• Clear solution for anyone wanting to coordinate with others and not share all of a sheet or tediously create and maintain new sheets.

I wonder if it's too difficult for the architects and coders of SmartSheets to auto-create dependent sheets for any assigned individuals to view assigned tasks if they don't have permission to view the parent sheet, or if it's fairly easy and they just don't sense this desire, request and churn cost due to lack of attention.

It would be awesome if such requests were acknowledged as functionality improvement requests and given some sense of creation probability & timing. Maybe one day. I hope we can do this as well with other communities.

This discussion has been closed.